2. November 5, 2002:
Vance students turn in lost church money
By Robert Barron, Staff Writer
The Enid News and Eagle
ENID, Okla. —
The military stresses integrity. It is apparently a lesson learned well by two Vance Air Force Base students.
An Enid church is a little richer today thanks to the integrity of Lt. Andrew Baugher, a Marine student at Vance, and Ensign Chris Dorner, a Navy student pilot.
The two were driving into Enid Sunday afternoon when they spotted a bank bag in the middle of the road.
After turning around, they picked up the bag and found it contained nearly $8,000. They promptly took the bag to the Enid Police Department
The money belongs to Enid Korean Church of Grace, 724 W. Randolph, and the bag contained $7,792 in cash and checks.
“I thought it was a wallet. We turned around and found it was a bank envelope,” Baugher said. “We opened it and found plenty of cash in there.”
Baugher said the pair did not know if the money was lost or stolen, but took it to the police department.
“I thought it was a piece of cardboard,” Dorner said. “When we passed it I thought it was a large purse and turned around.”
When the two opened the envelope, they saw the checks and the church’s deposit slip.
Not everyone would have returned the money, but Baugher and Dorner said “it’s an integrity thing.”
Both were taught honest as children, and integrity is stressed in their military training.
Baugher grew up in Ankeny, Iowa, a small town north of Des Moines, and was raised in a church.
Dorner was raised by his mother in La Palma, Calif., in Orange County. Both men learned the value of honesty as they were raised.
“It was just the right thing to do,” Baugher said. “I have loan payments it could have taken care of.”
Baugher said he learned the pastor of the church had placed the bag on top of his car and it fell off.
Baugher, a Marine, is a member of the Joint Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training program at Vance. He hopes to fly an F-18. Dorner, a Navy officer, hopes to fly SH-60 helicopters used for search and rescue and in special operations.
“The military stresses integrity,” Dorner said. “There was a couple of thousand dollars, and if people are willing to give that to a church, it must be pretty important to them.”
He said it was “a little scary” having that much money in front of him.
Dorner said his mother taught him honesty and integrity.
“I didn’t work for it, so it’s not mine. And it was for the church,” he said. “It’s not so much the integrity, but it was someone else’s money. I would hope someone would do that for me.”
Both students received telephone calls Sunday evening from a church member, whose name they could not understand.
One phrase they did hear was, “God bless you. Thank you.”
Please validate your account to contribute content.
Preview Your Response
- odaliss Suspected LAPD Killer Found $8,000 An... and thinks it’s Sad, OMG & Win
- natashao Suspected LAPD Killer Found $8,000 An... and thinks it’s OMG & Win
STAGED! Like all the MKUTRA-created “lone shooters.” And 911. It’s all FAKED for one global agenda - total control: http://beforeitsnews.com/alternative/2013/02/lapd-vs-christopher-dorner-case-file-leaked-proves-lapd-have-been-lying-about-entire-thing-2561274.html?currentSplittedPage=0
- robertd31 thinks Suspected LAPD Killer Found $8,000 An... is WTF
- rense.com readers just made Suspected LAPD Killer Found $8,000 An... hotter
- community.seattletimes.nwsource.com readers just made Suspected LAPD Killer Found $8,000 An... hotter
- beforeitsnews.com readers just made Suspected LAPD Killer Found $8,000 An... hotter
First off, murder is murder and I don’t condone it. But I really think Buzzfeed should post his full “manifesto.” In it he tells his story about he had handcuffed a handicapped man and needed backup in lifting up said individual and the cop who came to helped had kicked the suspect in the chest twice and once in the face. He reported it which inevitably led to HIM getting fired (he got the blame placed on him even though the suspect and father had identified the officer as the aggressor) and being painted as a bully. He had crossed that god damn “Blue Line.” It goes on to say the times other high ranking officers calling him a nigger and again him getting reported. He paints the LAPD as insanely corrupt. Telling multiple stories of abuse against the handicap, stealing money from drug dealers and suspects, and coverups. He even mentions how one of the officers in the Rodney King beatings video is now is now the commanding officer of a LAPD police station. Racism stills runs in all police departments and I he’s trying to expose it the last way he knows how and I believe that the three he has killed are in direct relation to some of the stories he tells. This was clearly a great man who was pushed to the edge, very sad. Very sad in the wasy he was treated, which I believe every word of and very sad that he felt that murdering people was the way to be heard. Unfortunatley, the media is going to spin this as innocent cops being killed my a heinous psychopath. In reality there a is a HUGE gray area. “I’m not an aspiring rapper, I’m not a gang member, I’m not a dope dealer, I don’t have multiple babies momma’s. I am an American by choice, I am a son, I am a brother, I am a military service member, I am a man who has lost complete faith in the system, when the system betrayed, slandered, and libeled me. I lived a good life and though not a religious man I always stuck to my own personal code of ethics, ethos and always stuck to my shoreline and true North. I didn’t need the US Navy to instill Honor, Courage, and Commitment in me but I thank them for re-enforcing it. It’s in my DNA.”
- ringdinger thinks Suspected LAPD Killer Found $8,000 An... is Cute, OMG & WTF
- MsChickenBrown Suspected LAPD Killer Found $8,000 An...
I would like to address two issues. Everyone keeps saying he killed people? Do you have proof of this. Last time I checked innocent until proven guilty. Let’s say he is proven guilty of these murders, I in no way condone murders. However, some of you say there are other “peaceful” routes he could have taken to have his story heard. See thats the problem? Nothing will be heard especially when you talk against the police force. Unfortunetly, the media and a lot of us dont give a shit unless there is some sort of crazy violent story behind it. There are police brutalities and corruption going on daily and a lot of it is reported. Do you think any of us give a shit? NO! Not unless it has a headline with murder attached to it. Thats the unfortunate part about society these days.
- berenice thinks Suspected LAPD Killer Found $8,000 An... is OMG
Any articles about how the Newtown killer found and returned a puppy to its owner, 10 years ago??? Because that would be COMPLETELY relevant and overshadow what an irrational, murderous scumbag he is TODAY. Articles and “journalism” like THIS is partially why dirtbags like Chris Dorner get public support. They FEED it. >:(
- Aya K. Suspected LAPD Killer Found $8,000 An...
- LegendOfBacon Suspected LAPD Killer Found $8,000 An... and thinks it’s Win
- chuyb thinks Suspected LAPD Killer Found $8,000 An... is Win
- nicoletten Suspected LAPD Killer Found $8,000 An...
- esperry Suspected LAPD Killer Found $8,000 An...
- torsl965 thinks Suspected LAPD Killer Found $8,000 An... is OMG
- thaddeuslorenzojrg thinks Suspected LAPD Killer Found $8,000 An... is Win
- Anna P. Suspected LAPD Killer Found $8,000 An...
- reddit.com readers just made Suspected LAPD Killer Found $8,000 An... hotter
- Suspected LAPD Killer Found $8,000 An... is starting to get hot on Facebook Share It
- Felicia H. Suspected LAPD Killer Found $8,000 An... and thinks it’s OMG
- Terra Smith thinks Suspected LAPD Killer Found $8,000 An... is WTF
- Suspected LAPD Killer Found $8,000 An... is starting to get hot on Twitter Tweet It
- astridf thinks Suspected LAPD Killer Found $8,000 An... is OMG
- Ellie Hall thinks LAPD Killer Found $8,000 And Returned... is OMG