1. France’s first same-sex couple married today in the southern town of Montpellier.
#PHOTO: Vincent Autin (L) and Bruno Boileau kiss at France’s first official gay marriage, by @ggjulien
2. Watch Bruno Boileau and Vincent Autin wed.
3. The ceremony was overwhelmed with cameras and reporters capturing the historic moment.
4. Aubin, 40, and Boileau, 30, have been partners for five years.
5. “[The ceremony] could be intimidating,” Boileau told AFP yesterday when asked about the media coverage. “But we will try to retain the spirit of the goal — equality for all. That Mister or Miss Anybody can get married in the town hall.”
6. Socialist President Francois Hollande, who promised the legalization of gay marriage and adoption during his campaign, signed same-sex marriage bill into law on May 18.
This framed portrait of Francois Hollande at France’s first ever gay marriage ceremony
7. The decision has caused deep division in the (predominately Catholic) French society.
PHOTO: Man trying to stop France’s first gay marriage ceremony apprehended by police