1. France’s first same-sex couple married today in the southern town of Montpellier.
#PHOTO: Vincent Autin (L) and Bruno Boileau kiss at France’s first official gay marriage, by @ggjulien
2. Watch Bruno Boileau and Vincent Autin wed.
3. The ceremony was overwhelmed with cameras and reporters capturing the historic moment.
4. Aubin, 40, and Boileau, 30, have been partners for five years.
5. “[The ceremony] could be intimidating,” Boileau told AFP yesterday when asked about the media coverage. “But we will try to retain the spirit of the goal — equality for all. That Mister or Miss Anybody can get married in the town hall.”
6. Socialist President Francois Hollande, who promised the legalization of gay marriage and adoption during his campaign, signed same-sex marriage bill into law on May 18.
This framed portrait of Francois Hollande at France’s first ever gay marriage ceremony
7. The decision has caused deep division in the (predominately Catholic) French society.
PHOTO: Man trying to stop France’s first gay marriage ceremony apprehended by police
8. France is the 14th country to legalize same-sex marriage.
- Dylann Roof wants to plead guilty to the charges against him in the Charleston church shooting, his attorney said, but a judge entered a not guilty plea for him on Friday.
- The U.S. Coast Guard has suspended its search for two teenagers who went missing a week ago off the coast of Florida.
- Beijing will host the 2022 Winter Olympics, becoming the first city to host both the summer and winter games.