1. Each year, Supernatural costar Misha Collins hosts a massive world-wide scavenger hunt called “GISHWHES,” or “The Greatest International Scavenger Hunt The World Has Ever Seen.”
2. Thousands of people around the world participate in teams of 15 members each year, with the winning team being treated to an all-expense paid trip to see Misha Collins.
3. This year, two of the items on the list required the involvement of published and/or bestselling authors.
78.Get a previously published Sci-Fi author to write an original story (140 words max) about Misha, the Queen of England and an Elopus: 59 POINTS.
178. Get A NYT best-selling author or Tony-award winning actor or actress doing a dramatic reading of a section of this [the California Driver Handbook]: 112 POINTS.
4. After multiple requests, YA author Lauren DeStefano took to Facebook to explain why she wouldn’t be writing stories for anyone.
5. Soon after, her Facebook and Tumblr were flooded with mean-spirited messages.
9. On Twitter, other writers posted similar disclaimers.
13. Science fiction author John Scalzi initially wrote that he wouldn’t participate…
14. But he later tweeted this frustrated message:
15. In response, the GISHWHES team updated their rules Tuesday and promised to dock points from any team that exhibited harassing behavior:
Commandment 4 – Harassment – It’s come to our attention that a number of teams have been verbally harassing authors and politicians to achieve items. If someone doesn’t want to help you, this is no reason to verbally attack them. We are trying to create art and change lives, not hurt people. Your team will be docked points if we determine that you are breaking Commandment 4. Perhaps more importantly, you are dinging your karma credit. Be nice to people. Remember, you are representing the global community of GISHWHES and that community believes that through art we can change lives – not hurt them.
16. The contest, which ends August 9th, has already broken three Guinness world records through group events.
- BP has agreed to pay a $18.7 billion fine to settle legal actions over the 2010 Deepwater Horizon oil spill.
- Liberia has reported three new cases of Ebola this week. The country was declared Ebola-free on May 9.
- A pilot has broken the world records for longest solo flight and longest non-stop flight ever taken in a solar-powered airplane ?