1. Water of Time for the Passion of the Heart
“Take a quart of white Wine, and a pint of Sack, steep in it as much broad thime as it will wet, put to it of Galingale and Calamus Aromaticus, of each one ounce, Cloves, Mace, Ginger, and grains of Paradise two drams, steep there all night, the next morning distil it in an ordinary still, drink it warm with Sugar.” -A Queen’s Delight, 1655
2. Strawberry Pie
” The kitchen yielded no lemon cakes, but they did find half of a cold strawberry pie, and that was almost as good. They ate it on the tower steps, giggling and gossiping and sharing secrets, and Sansa went to bed that night feeling almost as wicked as Arya.”
3. Autumn Greens and Ginger Soup
“…her young hostages Miklaz and Kezmya were laying out a simple supper of autumn greens and ginger soup for her…”
4. Hen stuffed w/carrots, chestnuts, and prunes
“I never eat prunes myself. Well, there was one time when Hobb chopped them up with chestnuts and carrots and hid them in a hen. Never trust a cook, my lord. They’ll prune you when you least expect it.”
6. A Meal at the Inn
“Ser Rodrik tried to tug at whiskers that were not there, but before he could frame a rebuke the serving boy came scurrying up. He laid trenchers of bread before them and filled them with chunks of browned meat off a skewer, dripping with hot juice. Another skewer held tiny onions, fire peppers, and fat mushrooms. Ser Rodrik set to lustily as the lad ran back to fetch them beer.”
7. Baked Venison
”Season might pass without a singer ever coming to play for us, and there’s not a goldsmith on the island. Even meals became a trial. My cook knew little beyond his roasts and stews, and Lynesse soon lost her taste for fish and venison.”
8. It’s good to be the King… Robert Baratheon’s Ideal Meal
No wonder King Robert is so large, and there’s little question why the crown was six million gold dragons in debt.
9. Pentoshi Honey Duck w/orange snap peppers
“‘My fellow magisters have doubled the size of the city guard,’ Illyrio told them over platter’s of honey duck and orange snap peppers one night at the manse that had been Drogo’s. The khal had joined his khalasar, his estate given over to Daenerys and her brother until the wedding.”
10. Lemon Curd
Lemon curd is so unbelievably good, so decadent, that you will not believe us when we tell you that it’s also easy to make yourself. But give this recipe a try, and you’ll not resort to buying the overpriced jar at the market ever again.
Here is the cover of the cookbook - pretty awesome!
- More debris – believed to be part of the missing aircraft MH370 – has been found washed up on the Indian Ocean island of Réunion on Sunday.
- Cilla Black, the legendary English singer and TV star, has died at her home in Spain, according to local police. She was 72 years old.
- A conservation group at Oxford University told BuzzFeed News that media reports of Jericho's death were not true and that the 11-year-old lion was "alive and well".