1. This is Angela Bassett. She is 55. Fifty-five. And she is ~SNATCHED.~
In a feature with Hollywood insider beauty mag Violet Grey, Angela praises her glam squad and gives tips on the usual topics like her fave makeup products and how she preps for high-profile events.
2. But let’s set the stage: Bassett is a goddess in the pantheon of Hollywood royalty.
Many of us have adored her since her ferocious turns as powerhouse Tina Turner in 1993’s What’s Love Got to Do With It, and the (literally) fiery Bernadine Harris in 1995’s girl-power ensemble classic Waiting to Exhale.
5. While much of the buzz around the interview will be Bassett’s amazing physique, her answers to the questions are even more inspiring:
V.G.: WHAT DO YOU SEE WHEN YOU LOOK IN THE MIRROR?
A.B.: A passionate woman who knows what she loves and has been blessed to be able to do it…and continue to do it!
V.G.: WHAT IS YOUR GREATEST WEAKNESS?
A.B.: Love…and sugar.
V.G.: WHEN DO YOU FEEL THE MOST VULNERABLE?
A.B.: When I’m told I can’t do something. When I’m told I’m not good enough, that I can’t have something, can’t go somewhere, especially because of the color of my skin.
V.G.: YOU’RE SUCH A STRONG WOMAN, I BET YOU ALWAYS FIGHT FOR THE THINGS YOU WANT AND COME OUT ON TOP.
A.B.: Not with everything, but that’s when you stick out your chest and you gather your strength. I was raised by my mother, and she taught me how! You can’t be in this industry if you’re afraid of a little rejection.
6. If there’s anything we can take away from beautiful, accomplished women like Angela Bassett and Helen Mirren, it’s that age is nothing to fear.
Take it from Angela, a married mother of 8-year-old twins who just made her directorial debut in Lifetime’s upcoming biopic I Will Always Love You: The Whitney Houston Story.
7. In conclusion:
- David Fry, the last of the Oregon wildlife refuge occupiers, has surrendered to the FBI, ending a 40-day protest.
- Physicists have found gravitational waves: wrinkles in space-time that could open up a new way to see the universe 🔭
- Time for Democratic presidential debate number six: Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders will face each other in Wisconsin tonight 🇺🇸