1. The Pittsburgh Pirates are one of the oldest and most storied franchises in all of professional sports.
5. The team has won five World Series titles in its history.
Eighth-most in Major League Baseball.
6. The Pirates are also the only team known to have a hallucinogenic-drug-induced no-hitter in its history.
Certainly one of the stranger things to have happened in baseball history
7. But its been a while since the Buccos last had a winning season.
It was 1992. The Pirates went all the way to the National League Championship Series, but lost to the Atlanta Braves.
8. Back in 1992, things were a little different.
Walt Disney’s Aladdin was the top grossing film.
Bill Clinton, Ross Perot and George H.W. Bush were vying for the American Presidency.
The Space Shuttle Endeavour took its maiden flight.
And Miley Cyrus was born.
12. The Pirates, meanwhile, spent the next two decades losing season after season.
The longest streak of losing seasons in major American professional sports.
13. But not anymore!
22. These guys have broken the streak.
and also made an awesome SNL-inspired scoreboard video. Note that Pedro Alvarez is wearing a Thundercats shirt.
30. Be nice to them!
You could even join in the excitement. What do you have to lose?