1. CNN used an Instagram photo of Andrea Rebello and her twin sister in Halloween costumes as a visual in a segment about the 21-year-old Hofstra student’s tragic death by police gunfire.
2. On top of the questionable choice of photograph, the production team’s use of the “Ken Burns” pan-and-scan to add movement makes everything about the segment a million times more offensive.
In The News Today
- One person was killed and another was injured Friday in a shooting at Texas Southern University. Police have detained two possible suspects. ›
- A judge halted all eight scheduled executions in Arkansas. Inmates are challenging a law allowing the state to keep the source of its execution drugs a secret. ›
- The U.S. ended its $500 million program that trains and equips Syrian rebels in their fight against ISIS. ›