1. During the Legendary panel at Comic-Con, it was announced Warcraft had been greenlit.
Moon director Duncan Jones has been tapped to direct and filming begins in 2014. Translation: live action. Uh-oh?
2. The universe of Warcraft is huge, spanning several dimensions across four games (and their expansions) over the course of almost twenty years.
The lore is densely packed and spills out into other media, including books, comics, and a trading card game.
3. Two factions, the Alliance and the Horde are in a state of perpetual war punctuated by the occasional uneasy truce.
4. World of Warcraft — the most well-known iteration — is an eye candy smorgasbord of over the top graphics.
5. Characters and zones are cartoonish and bold.
Iconic and fun to look at but not necessarily suited for live action adaptation, making some fans understandably nervous.
6. Blizzard always knocked it out of the park with their CGI cinematics.
Offsetting somewhat the colorful palette with a dark story, evil villains, and morally grey player factions. For years, fans had hoped to see the publishing powerhouse take the plunge into a full-length animated film.
7. But all is not lost! With the right cinematographer,*
8. …leading the right costume and make-up team*….
*Hellboy and Hellboy 2
9. …with the right amount of CGI…
- One person died and three more were injured during a shooting on a university campus in Arizona. ›