Old CRT monitors are simple to disassemble, but can be dangerous if done improperly. Before embarking on any of these DIY projects, please follow these step-by-step instructions on how to gut your old monitor without seriously injuring yourself or causing it to implode.
1. Breathe green life into your old monitor.
Once safely disassembled, let your monitor enjoy a life in the great outdoors. Or at least help bring the outdoors in. You can get detailed instructions over here.
2. Create a soothing water feature.
According to the step-by-step guide, the end result is a functional fish tank. But please remember to thoroughly research what types of sea life will thrive in this pretty microtank!
3. Put on a family night show with a puppet theater.
Win troll parent of the year by using this this guide to transform a dead monitor into the kids’ new computer. While not part of the instructions, an old CRT could also make the perfect backdrop for their next diorama project!
4. Your cat sits on your computer anyway, so just give it to them.
5. Even farm animals love a cozy monitor bed.
Swap out pillows for straw and you’ve got the start of an urban chicken farm.
6. Make a magazine rack. Then remember to buy magazines.
Created by Low Yi Siu as part of a design contest, converting an old monitor into a storage unit is as simple as picking out your furniture legs and drilling them in to the base of the CRT. Siu’s model even has a secret compartment.
7. Or just transform it into an ironic conversation piece.
One of users at Makezine had a sense of humor when it came to trashing their old monitor. Once converted, it will fit a standard 13 gallon trash bag.
8. Pop off the front of the monitor to make a cork board.
Once again, wooden knobs can be glued to the bottom for stability. Of course, this also works with flat screen monitors.