7. Hades - “Hercules”
More “sassy gay friend” than evil villain, Disney scrubbed most of the scary right of the god of the underworld.
6. The Red Guy - “Cow and Chicken”
A scam-artist shapeshifter who walks on his butt? Disturbing, but not because he’s scary.
5. Aku - “Samurai Jack”
An immortal dark god with superhuman strength, the power of interstellar travel, laser-beam eyes, and control of the elements who dabbles in necromancy? That is how you do scary shapeshifting.
4. Katz - “Courage The Cowardly Dog”
There’s just something about his calm cruelty that lingers with you well after the show is over.
3. Him - “Powerpuff Girls”
For a falsetto cross-dresser with fabulous taste in boots, HIM radiates a malevolence that unsettles even grown adults.
2. Hunson Abadeer - “Adventure Time”
It take true evil to trap your daughter in your all-powerful demon suit so you can drink beer and watch football on Sundays.
1. Chernabog - “Fantasia”
Disney continues to traumatize generations of children by sneaking in a Satanic ritual into the end of a movie about dancing mushrooms and frolicking centaurs.
Honorable Mention: Robot Devil - “Futurama”
Not for kids, but a delightful singing voice.
- The first group of what is expected to be several thousand refugees arrived in Germany after a delayed journey through Hungary and Austria. ›
- Japan lifted an evacuation order on the small town of Naraha for the first time since the 2011 Fukushima nuclear disaster. ›
- Rowan County, Kentucky, issued several marriage licenses, but their validity is being questioned because jailed clerk Kim Davis's name isn't on them. ›