20. Lily - Kiki’s Delivery Service
The posh girlfriend of Kiki’s cat Jiji, Lily knows how to make all the boys go crazy.
19. Nina - The Secret World Of Arrietty
It’s an age old story. Cat meets tiny girl. Cat tries to eat tiny girl. Cat befriends tiny girl.
18. Goldfish - Ponyo
Ponyo’s little sisters might not get to go on life-changing adventures with humans, but they steal every scene they’re in so it evens out.
17. Baron Humbert von Gikkingen - Whisper of the Heart
Though he starts life as a statue in a antique shop, Humber more accurately Howl 1.0: The Furry Edition.
16. The Castle - Howl’s Moving Castle
It’s a partially sentient walking/flying house with the ability to teleport inhabitants thousands of miles or even through space and time via secret doors. The TARDIS wishes it was this cool.
15. Moon - Whisper Of The Heart
A cat who belongs to no one but himself, It is a travesty Moon couldn’t talk. Just look at that sassy face.
14. Teto - Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
Who wouldn’t want a fox-squirrel that served as the inspiration for the Eevee Pokemon as a stalwart companion in a post-apocalyptic wasteland?
13. Soot Sprites - Spirited Away
These little guys antics are adorably chronicled as they work in Yubaba’s bath house although they also make a cameo in My Neighbor Totoro. Give them orders so they don’t dissipate!
12. Chibi Totoro and Chu Totoro - My Neighbor Totoro
These acorn collectors are pint-sized versions of their companion. For when you need a Totoro neighbor for apartment dwellers.
11. Yakul - Princess Mononoke
It’s an Ibex you can put a saddle on and it’ll outrun worm demons and help keep the wolves at bay while you mack on their human girl. Best wingman ever.
10. Jiji - Kiki’s Delivery Service
Jiji comes from the genus Snarky Black Cat. Other examples include Luna from Sailor Moon and Salem from Sabrina the Teenage Witch.
9. Robot Solider - Castle In The Sky
Mechanized robots of DEATH and DESTRUCTION that choose instead to be guardians and gardeners of a floating city? Sounds wonderful, where do we sign up?
8. Great Forest Spirit - Princess Mononoke
Sure he’s creepy and looks like a deer that got stretched into stardust and leaves a mess of greenery everywhere he steps, but isn’t that what make him so endearing?
7. Turnip Head - Howl’s Moving Castle
Perhaps one of the most understanding and tenacious characters of all time, giving his all for little in return. Good luck finding your one true love!
6. Heen - Howl’s Moving Castle
He may or may not be made of Dark Matter, but this is one dog who knows the winning side when he sees it. Opportunists rarely look this cute!
5. Haku - Spirited Away
If you don’t want a dragon spirit that is willing to risk his life over and over again to save your from your own naivety then you’re a liar.
4. Catbus - My Neighbor Totoro
It’s a cat. It’s a bus. It is literally what it says on the tin. Yet somehow this simply impossible animal is one of the most coveted fictional animals ever. Get on it, geneticists!
3. Kodama / Forest Spirits - Princess Mononoke
Creepy cute? Check. Weird noise you’ll try to mimic without success for hours, making you look crazy? Check. Desire to catch and own one? Check. Basically, these guys are perfection.
2. No-Face - Spirited Away
Don’t be lonely! You can follow us around forever and be cute and transparent and socially awkward as long as you don’t eat anything that turns you into a giant hungering monster…again.
- Owen Labrie was found not guilty of felony sexual assault charges stemming from a 15-year-old former student's accusations that he raped her at St. Paul's School. ›
- Former U.S. President George W. Bush delivered a speech honoring New Orleans' teachers during a visit marking the anniversary of Hurricane Katrina. ›
- Police confirmed 71 people, likely refugees who fled Syria, were found dead in a truck abandoned in Austria. ›