1. “Blue Skies” - 1995
The first self-portrait Utermohlen drew after being diagnosed with Alzheimer’s.
2. “Red” - 1996
Utermohlen seems to mourn his sense of self, a shadow of his former life.
3. “Yellow and Green” - 1998
Two years later, Utermohlen draws his world as shrinking. He peers out as if trapped behind prison bars.
4. “Erased Self-Portrait” - 1999
With limited motor control it becomes difficult for Utermohlen to paint.
- Turkey hopes to ease tensions with Russia after it shot down a Russian warplane earlier this week. The countries have differing accounts of the incident. ›
- France and Russia have agreed to coordinate their airstrikes with the U.S. against ISIS. ›
- And how well do you know what happened in the news this week? Take our quiz. ›