1. “Conan The Barbarian” was one of the first attempts at a motion poster. It…could have been better.
- Flying birds in the background.
- Pioneer attempt opening the door for other studios to try too!
- Mostly just a big poster you move around with your mouse.
- Auto-play sound. (NO!)
- Not a GIF but a “sharable” link. There isn’t even an embed feature so click thru to see it in motion.
- No ability to save to desktop for sharing later.
3. Intrepid fans managed to turn the motion poster into an easily shared GIF.
- No sound.
- Low quality.
- Shorter snippet.
4. “The Wolverine” is by far the best motion poster to date.
- Gorgeous art.
- Original (not a remake of a poster)
- Subtle motion and hints as to the movie plot.
- Still not a GIF.
- NOT SHAREABLE! (whyyyyyyy?)
- No embed, no “share on social media”, definitely no “Save As” option.
- Click thru to Entertainment Weekly to see it in motion
5. Fans did what they could but a lot of quality was lost in the conversion.
Tumblr’s GIF size limitations were no help but that’s another post entirely.
7. And was also pulled from the fire by fans dedicated to sharing their excitement.
8. But there is hope! “Looper” hit all the right notes.
- Easily shared and/or saved.
- No sound. (YES!)
- Cinemagraph quality subtly.
- The top U.S. commander in Afghanistan called the hospital bombing that killed 22 people "a mistake." ›
- Historic flooding has killed 16 people in South Carolina, where rain finally stopped falling on Tuesday. ›
- Takaaki Kajita and Arthur McDonald won the Nobel Prize in physics for their discovery that neutrinos have mass. ›