18. When you realize that adopting the gold standard would be a terrible idea.
17. When you realize that, in a libertarian utopia, the Civil Rights Act of 1964 wouldn’t exist.
16. When you wonder what living in a libertarian world as a woman would be like.
Without the Pregnancy Discrimination Act or Equal Pay Act of 1963, American women would enjoy less pay for the same work, assuming they were allowed to work at all.
15. When you think about what being a kid would be like if the libertarians got their way.
Without FDR and the Fair Labor Standards Act, which libertarians despise (they despise the entire New Deal, which lifted the U.S. out of the Great Depression, actually), child labor would be common practice. Libertarians love the sight of tiny, crushed hands and tiny, crushed hearts.
14. When you consider that in a libertarian utopia there would be no laws to prevent your employer from firing you at any time for any reason or no reason at all.
Not much to say about this one. It would just suck, is all.
13. When the poster-boy of your movement is a big ole’ racist.
Seriously, dude hates black people.
12. When you realize that the “tyranny of government” wouldn’t disappear in a libertarian world, it would only be replaced by the tyranny of private entities.
11. When it hits you that libertarianism as a political philosophy exists for rich white people who want to feel less guilty about how rich and white they are while simultaneously doing nothing to improve the lives of the less fortunate.
“I just worked harder than you. The fact that my family is wealthy has nothing to do with my success.”
10. When you look around and notice that all your friends are white men, just like you.
9. When you learn that Ayn Rand was a hypocrite.
She applied for Social Security and Medicare, despite the fact that she railed against such programs her entire life.
7. When you finally realize that free markets are not impartial forces of nature.
The best don’t always rise to the top, regardless of whether or not governments intervene in free markets.
6. When you remember that you’re responsible for the Tea Party.
Yup, you guys suck.
5. When you discover that the Koch brothers, the biggest financial supporters of Libertarian candidates, are also climate change deniers.