1. John Travolta, Kevin Spacey, John Cusack, Steve Martin and Hugh Jackman were all considered for the role of Billy Flynn.
But the role ultimately went to Richard Gere.
2. Catherine Zeta Jones specifically requested to have a short haircut for this movie so that the audience could easily see her face and not doubt that she did all the dancing herself.
3. Renée Zellweger had no singing or dancing training prior to this film.
4. Angelina Jolie auditioned for the role of Velma Kelly.
5. During the Cell Block Tango, each girl does an imitation of her crime, each in session using a red silk bandanna to imitate where the blood would have been.
However, when Hunyak is speaking, she pulls out a white bandanna, not a red one, indicating that, she is, in fact, innocent.
7. All of the musical numbers in the film except Roxie, Mister Cellophane and Razzle Dazzle are introduced by the Bandleader.
Who is played by Taye Diggs.
8. In 2003, Chicago became the first film musical to have won an Oscar for “Best Picture” in 34 years.
The last winner was Oliver!
9. Roxy Hart was based on Beulah Annan who murdered her lover after he said he was leaving her.
10. Velma Kelly was based on Belva Gaertner who murdered her younger, married boyfriend and used the exact same defense of suffering from a black out.
11. During the song “Cell Block Tango” Hunyak speaks in Hungarian, but the actress is Russian and her accent makes the speech very difficult to understand even for native speakers of Hungarian.
Translation: “What am doing here? They say my famous lover held down my husband while I chopped off his head. But it isn’t true, I am innocent. I don’t know why Uncle Sam says I did it. I tried to explain it at the police station but they did not understand me.”
12. Became Miramax’s highest grossing film when its domestic box office hit $171,000,000.
13. Charlize Theron had initially secured the role of Roxie Hart while Nicholas Hytner was attached as director.
When Hytner withdrew and Rob Marshall took over, Theron had to audition again and lost the lead to Renée Zellweger.
14. Queen Latifah had not done any musical theatre since high school prior to her role as Matron Mama Morton
15. A long battle took place between the agents of Renée Zellweger and Catherine Zeta-Jones over billing on the movie poster.
In the end, “diagonal billing” was settled upon - as depending on which way you read it (top to bottom or left to right), both appear to get top billing.