1. The protesters were reading books to the police as a part of their peaceful protest when…
3. …The police decided to use pepper spray right onto people’s faces.
The photo of “The girl in red dress” has been used as the symbol of the uprising.
4. Since then, pepper spray’s in the air of Istanbul.
Meaning “Chemical Tayyip” (Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, the Prime Minister of Turkey)
10. Journalist Ahmet Şık was one of the many injured that have been receiving treatment for head trauma.
17. Look at them making this moment a memory?!?!
18. But still, some protesters had the heart to share their food with the police.
The video is from the police’s unexpected pepper spray raid at 5 AM.
20. Hold on Istanbul
- Greece voted "no" on sweeping new austerity measures tied to further bailout funds. Its future in the eurozone is uncertain, and its creditors are unimpressed.
- The U.S. defeated Japan 5-2 in Vancouver in the final match of the FIFA Women's World Cup. It was the highest scoring final in the history of the tournament ⚽️
- Captured New York prison escapee David Sweat has been released from hospital and is back in jail.