1. The chorus of 10cc’s classic, ‘Dreadlock Holiday’, more or less sums up the feelings of most Americans. They don’t like cricket.
2. That’s probably because they’re under the impression it’s an old-fashioned, eccentric game that takes days to finish
3. OK, well there’s truth in that. But cricket is changing. No longer do cricketers play only in white
5. Similarly to baseball, there are three main aspects of cricket. Batting…
9. …like any professional sport it requires an incredible amount of skill…
16. One of the greatest things about cricket is the sledging
Sledging is a nice name for giving the opposing players all sorts of abuse in order to put them off. The above back and forth from Glenn McGrath and Eddo Brandes is arguably the most famous example of the sledger becoming the sledgee.
17. Fielding positions have bizarre yet brilliant names. Like…
20. Beyond the actual game, going to a cricket match is a great day out. For starters, check out the fashion
21. Though there are certain strict dress codes in some areas of cricket grounds…
25. There is nothing better than sitting back with a cold beer (or 7) in the sun as you watch the day’s play unfold
26. But if you’re not interested in the game you can just work on your tan
27. Unfortunately this happens all too often. Though it would be less of a problem in the more predictable climate of the US
28. Hardly any countries play it, so even if the US was late to the party, they’d be one of the best teams in no time
Even Canada play!
29. If you’re still not convinced, here’s what England captain Alastair Cook looks like
36. And it even made Harry and Draco put their differences to one side
38. And last, but by no means least… there aren’t many sports you can play whilst eating a toasted sandwich
39. So come on, America. Put down your baseball bats. Put on your whites. And come and beat us at something else we invented!
- In a landmark prison reform decision, California has agreed to a settlement that will effectively end indefinite solitary confinement in the state. ›
- Los Angeles has officially been selected as the American candidate city to host the 2024 Summer Olympics. ›
- Missouri executed Roderick Nunley Tuesday night for a 1989 rape and murder. It was the state's sixth execution this year, and the nation's 20th. ›