1. Lindsay Lohan’s original role was Regina, but was switched to Cady so moviegoers wouldn’t associate Regina’s negative attitude with Lohan’s.
3. You might recognize Gretchen Weiner’s voice from somewhere else - Lacey Chabert did the voice of Eliza Thornberry.
She was also the voice of Meg on “Family Guy” before Mila Kunis took over.
4. In an alternate universe, Ashley Tisdale plays Karen Smith.
She auditioned for the role.
6. At the time of filming, Rachel McAdams was eight years older than Lindsay Lohan, her classmate, and seven years younger than Amy Poehler, her mother.
7. Tim Meadows’ character’s carpel tunnel was added to the film because Meadows broke his hand before shooting.
8. Also, during the above scene, Tim Meadows’ character says, “I did not leave the South Side for this!” This is actually a quote from another movie called Lean on Me, which is “about a principal struggling to improve a decaying school.”
9. Rachel McAdams’ hair was a wig.
10. GLENN COCO IS AN ACTUAL PERSON! He’s David Reale, a Canadian actor born 1984. For some horrible, horrible reason this role was not credited in the movie.
11. This is what the business card that Kevin G. gives Cady actually says:
And yes, 847 is the real area code of the North Shore.
12. The movie’s original script had Cady being asked if her cherry was popped instead of if her muffin was buttered.
This was changed to get a PG-13 rating.
13. The song Cady “actually recognizes” at the school dance is called “Built This Way” by Samantha Ronson. Lindsay Lohan would go on to date Ronson a few years after the movie’s release.
14. Yeah, there’s a Mean Girls video game.
It’s a “single-player puzzle game and allows the player to combine similarly coloured jewels, shoes and lipstick. Chain combinations together and you can unleash rumours, pranks and put-downs.”
15. The Plastics wear skirts made out of plastic for the winter talent show in order to “represent the Plastics.”
16. Mean Girls is based on the book Queen Bees and Wannabes: Helping Your Daughter Survive Cliques, Gossip, Boyfriends, and Other Realities of Adolescence by Rosalind Wiseman.
… even though it’s a nonfiction parental self-help guide with no narrative at all.
17. Janis Ian, Lizzy Caplan’s character, is named after Janis Ian, the first Saturday Night Live musical guest.
Janis is bullied by others and a called a lesbian in the film, while the real Janis Ian is an out lesbian.
18. Lindsay Lohan’s character is named after Elizabeth Cady Stanton of the American Women’s Rights Movement.
19. When casting the film, Tina Fey picked the actor who plays Aaron Samuels because she thought “he looked like Jimmy Fallon.”
And he’s on Twitter:
Also, not too long ago, Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, and Kevin G. got together to reenact his infamous rap.
This post has been updated to meet our attribution standards.
- The main suspect in last month's bombing of Bangkok's Erawan shrine has been arrested, Thailand's prime minister says. ›
- Hundreds of people have arrived by train to Austria from Hungary on Monday, as European Union asylum rules collapsed under the escalating migration crisis. ›
- A video released on Monday shows two Texas deputies fatally shooting a man with his hands up. A witness sold the footage to a local TV station for $100. ›