1. 1893: Rename the country ‘The United States of Earth’
Possible rationale: Congressmen, much like our elected leaders today, believed the US to have power over not just its own territory, but the entire word. Also, hippies.
2. 1878: Replace the President by an executive council of three
Possible rationale: Limit the president’s power even further, make room for evil twin presidents. (image source)
3. 1876: Abolish the United States Senate
Possible Rationale: Until 1913, Senators weren’t elected by the people, and instead were appointed by the states. Congress represented the people, while the senate represented the states.
4. 1894: Recognize God & Jesus Christ as the “supreme authority” in human affairs
Possible rationale: In contrast to the 1876 amendment, everyone just got super religious.
5. 1876: Bar religious leaders from holding political office
Possible rationale: The proposed amendment also barred federal funding for religious organizations. Another way to separate church and state even further.
6. 1912: Forbid interracial marriage
Possible rationale: Racist old men.
7. 1914: Ban divorce
Possible rationale: Stupid old men.
8. 1916: Put acts of war to a national vote with those voting in the affirmative being required to enlist
Possible rationale: An attempt to somehow compromise the divide between those who wanted to go to war in Europe, and those who preferred isolationism.
9. 1933: Limit personal wealth to $1 million
Possible rationale: Those wacky Great Depression days.
10. 1938: Ban drunkenness in the US & its territories
Possible rationale: After the failure of the 21st amendment, Congress decided they hate fun. Again.
11. 1971: Give American citizens the inalienable right to be free from polution
Possible rationale: Hippies.
- [Dominica Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit said that Tropical Storm Erika killed 20 people there, and set the island back 20 years from the damage. ›] (http://www.buzzfeed.com/stephaniemcneal/at-least-5-people-are-missing-after-tropical-storm-erika-thr)
- [Police are investigating the death of Jamycheal Mitchell, 24, who was arrested months ago in Virginia for allegedly stealing about $5 worth of groceries. He was found dead in his jail cell last week. ›] (http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimdalrympleii/black-man-held-for-months-for-stealing-5-worth-of-snacks-fou)
- Owen Labrie was found not guilty of felony sexual assault charges stemming from a 15-year-old former student's accusations that he raped her at St. Paul's School. ›