1. 1893: Rename the country ‘The United States of Earth’
Possible rationale: Congressmen, much like our elected leaders today, believed the US to have power over not just its own territory, but the entire word. Also, hippies.
2. 1878: Replace the President by an executive council of three
Possible rationale: Limit the president’s power even further, make room for evil twin presidents. (image source)
3. 1876: Abolish the United States Senate
Possible Rationale: Until 1913, Senators weren’t elected by the people, and instead were appointed by the states. Congress represented the people, while the senate represented the states.
4. 1894: Recognize God & Jesus Christ as the “supreme authority” in human affairs
Possible rationale: In contrast to the 1876 amendment, everyone just got super religious.
5. 1876: Bar religious leaders from holding political office
Possible rationale: The proposed amendment also barred federal funding for religious organizations. Another way to separate church and state even further.
6. 1912: Forbid interracial marriage
Possible rationale: Racist old men.
7. 1914: Ban divorce
Possible rationale: Stupid old men.
8. 1916: Put acts of war to a national vote with those voting in the affirmative being required to enlist
Possible rationale: An attempt to somehow compromise the divide between those who wanted to go to war in Europe, and those who preferred isolationism.
9. 1933: Limit personal wealth to $1 million
Possible rationale: Those wacky Great Depression days.
10. 1938: Ban drunkenness in the US & its territories
Possible rationale: After the failure of the 21st amendment, Congress decided they hate fun. Again.
11. 1971: Give American citizens the inalienable right to be free from polution
Possible rationale: Hippies.
- Civil rights attorneys filed a lawsuit seeking a court order for footage of the fatal shooting of Jamar Clark in Minneapolis.
- Robocalls from John Kasich's campaign to voters on a do-not-call list sparked complaints to New Hampshire's attorney general 🇺🇸
- Thank the Force: Disney's profits hit an all-time high of $2.9 billion after the latest *Star Wars* film release ✨💰
Connect With PoliticsLike Us On Facebook Follow Us On Twitter Follow Us On Apple News Subscribe to our RSS feed
Report an Issue
Drag to highlight one or more parts of the screen.
We got your feedback, and we'll follow up with you at
Sadly, an error occured while sending your feedback. Please contact email@example.com to let us know.