So it’s a Monday night in Washington, D.C. You’re winding down for the evening, maybe checking out the 11 o’clock news to see what Topper Shutt has to say about the weekday forecast.
And then you see it.
5. The storm even has a funny name! If it’s got a funny name, it has to be a big deal!
6. You run to the local Giant Food. You grab all the milk and bread and toilet paper you can.
7. Remember: Once the snow hits, there will be NO way to get milk and bread and toilet paper ever again. You must hoard as much as you can right now.
8. Then you drive to the gas station. There will also never be gasoline in the D.C. area ever again. Fill up immediately. Your local news media URGES you to.
11. Then you see the magic words: School: Cancelled! The government: Closed!
12. You even start planning your big snowball fight! Conditions permitting? Ha! This storm is gonna be huge!
13. The final weather predictions come in. Oh boy oh boy oh boy! Look at all those colors!
And then, just as they promised on TV: Snow starts to fall!
IT’S WINTER MAGIC!!!
18. Look at that storm move! It’s beautiful. My goodness, it’s beautiful!!!
21. Is it seriously just raining outside? Again?! How do we fall for this every freaking time???
23. No, wait wait, there’s a new update! It’s still coming! Oh, thank you, THANK YOU, weather overlords. It’s still coming.
29. Wait, is this snow ever coming? It HAS to come! They promised us this time!
#Snowquester is a bust at #PBS #SnowAngels http://t.co/A2Kk8hn7gC— Natalie Nicole
35. And then comes the inevitable: Just hours after they promised tons of snow, the weather guys start backing off their predictions for D.C.
37. But since it’s basically just raining, at least your Beltway commute won’t be horrifying, right?
39. At least there’s some good news, though: That “snow day” gave us this adorable panda photo.
So, whatever. It was all worth it, D.C.
And here’s to many more winter weather freakouts in 2013!
- A University of Cincinnati officer has been charged with murder for shooting Samuel Dubose, an unarmed black man.
- Mullah Omar, the Taliban's reclusive leader, died more than two years ago, Afghan officials say. The Taliban hasn't commented.
- Debris found on an island in the Indian Ocean belongs to the same type of aircraft as the missing Malaysia Airlines flight, a U.S. official told the Associated Press.