1. It’s the All-Star break. And look at those standings! The second-best record in the National League. The Bucs are way out front in the Wild Card race!
2. This is it. This is the moment. This could be THE year. Heck, the team hasn’t been to the playoffs since ‘92. It’s gotta be the year, right?
3. Look at these guys.
4. The team’s hitting great.
Andrew McCutchen’s hitting .302/.376/.471. Pedro Alvarez has 24 homers. Starling Marte is named STARLING MARTE.
5. Fielding great.
Balls just don’t get by that outfield.
6. The Shark Tank looks rock solid.
That’s the Jason Grilli-anchored bullpen.
9. Except… there was last year.
10. And, yeah, the year before that.
11. But everything’s going to be fine, just as long as nothing weird happens, like a mascot falling onto the field…
13. …or HOLY CRAP A JOURNEYMAN THIRD BASEMAN BECOMING POSSESSED.
Okay, this is not looking good, people.
14. Did the skies just get super ominous over PNC Park? It’s happening again, isn’t it?
- Budapest's main train station has opened its doors after a two-day stand-off, during which hundreds of people without a valid European Union visa weren't allowed on trains. ›
- Guatemalan President Otto Pérez Molina has resigned amid a lengthy corruption scandal that has brought his government to the brink. ›
- China's President Xi Jinping has said army personnel will be reduced by 300,000, the biggest cut to the military in almost two decades. ›