Like many celebrities, cartoon characters tend to go through drastic changes in their appearance over the years.
Here’s a few animated icons who started out looking a lot different than the way we know them.
1. The Simpsons, 1987
Matt Groening designed the original versions of the Simpsons, but over the years animators smoothed them out.
2. Archie in 1941 and today.
Archie started as a funny looking dude. I guess the cartoonists later realized they had to make it more believable that girls would fight over him.
5. Pinoccio in 1911 and 1940.
One of the more drastic makeovers. Disney changed him from Larry David into a little boy.
7. My Little Pony in 1984 and now.
Do you think anyone in 1984 could have predicted who the fans of this show would be 30 years later?
8. Arthur in 1976 and today.
9. South Park in 1992, and today.
From a bootlegged VHS tape to a major motion picture and only this much improvement.
10. The Iron Giant in 1968 and 1999.
How many of you guys even knew this was based on an old children’s book? Even more surprising is that the author was Sylvia Plath’s husband!
21. Bugs Bunny in 1940 and today.
23. James and The Giant Peach from 1961…
…and in the 1996 movie.
- Police confirmed 71 people, likely refugees who fled Syria, were found dead in a truck abandoned in Austria. The suspected drivers have been arrested. ›
- Florida Gov. Rick Scott declared a state of emergency due to the "severe threat" posed to his state by Tropical Storm Erika. ›
- President Obama marked a decade of recovery after Hurricane Katrina, citing gains, but also the immense amount of work that he said still needs to be done. ›