1. Artist Jim Kay has been commissioned to illustrate the world of Harry Potter for a series of new editions.
And this is the first image of everyone’s favourite boy wizard who used to be played by Daniel Radcliffe. The first in the series of illustrated full-colour editions will be published by Bloomsbury in September 2015.
2. This is what Jim had to say about the gig of a lifetime:
From my point of view it is without doubt the commission of a lifetime… to design the characters, the clothing, the architecture and landscapes to possibly the most expansive world in children’s literature, well let’s just say I’m extremely excited about it. However I am also mindful of the huge responsibility this represents. I want to make sure I do the best job I possibly can.
3. Here is his vision of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.
Jim won the Kate Greenaway Medal in 2012 for illustrations of A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness. He previously worked in the archives of Tate Britain and the Royal Botanical Gardens at Kew. He lives in Northamptonshire with his partner and a rescued greyhound.
- A Guatemalan judge ordered former President Otto Perez Molina held in jail overnight while hearings over the corruption scandal that led to his resignation take place. ›
- Prosecutors will seek the death penalty for Dylann Roof, accused of killing nine people in a Charleston church in June. ›
- The Justice Dept. has tightened rules on cell phone tracking, forcing federal agencies to get a warrant. ›