1. UK press got their first glimpse of the new series of Downton Abbey yesterday (August 13) but they also got a surprise.
Opera legend Dame Kiri te Kanawa turned up and performed two songs, including ‘Songs My Mother Taught Me’ as she will be appearing in the show’s new series.
“When they asked me to do it, I nearly choked. I couldn’t say yes fast enough.”
3. She will be playing equally legendary opera singer Dame Nellie Melba.
Helen ‘Nellie’ Porter Mitchell was one of the most famous singers of the Victorian era, and the first Australian to achieve international fame as a musician. In the show she will be portrayed performing at a party hosted by Lord Grantham. The singer said: “We tried to stay true to the character because as Julian Fellowes said she’s the only true character who actually lived during the whole of the Downton series, I think.”
4. She also revealed that she had named her new dog ‘Abbey’ after the show.
5. Downton Abbey returns to screens next month.
- Dylann Roof wants to plead guilty to the charges against him in the Charleston church shooting, his attorney said, but a judge entered a not guilty plea for him on Friday.
- The U.S. Coast Guard has suspended its search for two teenagers who went missing a week ago off the coast of Florida.
- Beijing will host the 2022 Winter Olympics, becoming the first city to host both the summer and winter games.