1. UK press got their first glimpse of the new series of Downton Abbey yesterday (August 13) but they also got a surprise.
Opera legend Dame Kiri te Kanawa turned up and performed two songs, including ‘Songs My Mother Taught Me’ as she will be appearing in the show’s new series.
“When they asked me to do it, I nearly choked. I couldn’t say yes fast enough.”
3. She will be playing equally legendary opera singer Dame Nellie Melba.
Helen ‘Nellie’ Porter Mitchell was one of the most famous singers of the Victorian era, and the first Australian to achieve international fame as a musician. In the show she will be portrayed performing at a party hosted by Lord Grantham. The singer said: “We tried to stay true to the character because as Julian Fellowes said she’s the only true character who actually lived during the whole of the Downton series, I think.”
4. She also revealed that she had named her new dog ‘Abbey’ after the show.
5. Downton Abbey returns to screens next month.
- Iran's parliament approved a nuclear deal with six other world powers, including the U.S. ›
- Police officers in the UK will record anti-Muslim hate crimes as a specific category in crime statistics for the first time. ›
- There were three stabbings in Jerusalem on Monday, part of a monthlong wave of violence between Israelis and Palestinians. ›