1. UK press got their first glimpse of the new series of Downton Abbey yesterday (August 13) but they also got a surprise.
Opera legend Dame Kiri te Kanawa turned up and performed two songs, including ‘Songs My Mother Taught Me’ as she will be appearing in the show’s new series.
“When they asked me to do it, I nearly choked. I couldn’t say yes fast enough.”
3. She will be playing equally legendary opera singer Dame Nellie Melba.
Helen ‘Nellie’ Porter Mitchell was one of the most famous singers of the Victorian era, and the first Australian to achieve international fame as a musician. In the show she will be portrayed performing at a party hosted by Lord Grantham. The singer said: “We tried to stay true to the character because as Julian Fellowes said she’s the only true character who actually lived during the whole of the Downton series, I think.”
4. She also revealed that she had named her new dog ‘Abbey’ after the show.
5. Downton Abbey returns to screens next month.
- Tunisia's president declared a state of emergency a week after a deadly terror attack on a beach hotel.
- Some 150 migrants stranded in the French city of Calais stormed the Channel Tunnel in an attempt to make it to British territory.
- Matt Stonie won the 2015 Nathan's Famous hot dog eating contest, beating 8-time champion Joey Chestnut ☀️??