1. UK press got their first glimpse of the new series of Downton Abbey yesterday (August 13) but they also got a surprise.
Opera legend Dame Kiri te Kanawa turned up and performed two songs, including ‘Songs My Mother Taught Me’ as she will be appearing in the show’s new series.
“When they asked me to do it, I nearly choked. I couldn’t say yes fast enough.”
3. She will be playing equally legendary opera singer Dame Nellie Melba.
Helen ‘Nellie’ Porter Mitchell was one of the most famous singers of the Victorian era, and the first Australian to achieve international fame as a musician. In the show she will be portrayed performing at a party hosted by Lord Grantham. The singer said: “We tried to stay true to the character because as Julian Fellowes said she’s the only true character who actually lived during the whole of the Downton series, I think.”
4. She also revealed that she had named her new dog ‘Abbey’ after the show.
5. Downton Abbey returns to screens next month.
- A Guatemalan judge ordered former President Otto Perez Molina held in jail overnight while hearings over the corruption scandal that led to his resignation take place. ›
- Prosecutors will seek the death penalty for Dylann Roof, accused of killing nine people in a Charleston church in June. ›
- The Justice Dept. has tightened rules on cell phone tracking, forcing federal agencies to get a warrant. ›