1. Harrison Ford chats with George Lucas between setups.
2. Phil Tippett and Stewart Freeborn pose before their joint collaboration: a menagerie of wonderful monsters.
3. Ian McDiarmid in his complete Emperor’s makeup, which covered only the front two-thirds of his head. The cowl always covered the back of his head.
4. Harrison Ford relaxes on a plank, with Richard Marquand and Mark Hamill close by.
5. George Lucas and Richard Marquand on the Emperor’s throne room set at Elstree during principal photography.
6. Mark Hamill is filmed during Luke’s moment of choice: Will he commit patricide or become a true Jedi and show compassion for his father?
7. Ewoks seize the clapperboard on May 17, 1982, during second unit work near Crescent City.
8. Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill on location in California’s Buttercup Valley aboard Jabba’s barge, April 1982.
- Protesters marched in Chicago for the second night in a row after the release of a video showing the police shooting of black teen Laquan McDonald. ›
- Frank Gifford's family says the NFL star had CTE, the degenerative brain disease linked to football. He died in August. ›
- And President Obama actually made his daughters laugh at the annual White House turkey pardon. ›