1. Ben Whishaw has been confirmed to play Freddie Mercury in the long-gestating Queen biopic.
Deadline reports that the Cloud Atlas star has signed on to play the singer in the film. He takes over the role from Sacha Baron Cohen, who departed the project over creative differences with the surviving members of Queen. The movie will tell the band’s coming-of-age story, and culminate with their historic performance at Live Aid in 1985.
2. Dexter Fletcher has signed on to direct.
The former star of Press Gang and Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels has made his name as a director in recent years, earning acclaim for Sunshine on Leith, his musical based on the the works of The Proclaimers.
- Dylann Roof wants to plead guilty to the charges against him in the Charleston church shooting, his attorney said, but a judge entered a not guilty plea for him on Friday.
- The U.S. Coast Guard has suspended its search for two teenagers who went missing a week ago off the coast of Florida.
- Beijing will host the 2022 Winter Olympics, becoming the first city to host both the summer and winter games.