Last week Penguin released its new Charlie and the Chocolate Factory cover.
The internet was mostly not impressed. Personally I think the cover is great, so I decided to give some other children’s classics a disturbing new look.
1. “That night he had a stomach ache.”
2. “Not now, Bernard,” said his father.
3. “Whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you…”
4. “Don’t try to make me grow up before my time…”
5. “If you drink much from a bottle marked ‘poison’ it is certain to disagree with you sooner or later.”
7. “If you look the right way, you can see that the whole world is a garden.”
8. “Forty-five years is a very long time, especially for an 8-year-old girl.”
9. “All shall be done, but it may be harder than you think.”
10. “Yet I was in a frenzy to reach that open lawn, to run for the bushes, to get away from the cage… No use.”
11. “I suggest,” said Mouse, “that we throw it into the sea.”
12. “I wish that I could give you something… but I have nothing left. I am an old stump. I am sorry…”
13. “My shoe is off. My foot is cold. I have a bird I like to hold.”
14. “You’re a wizard, Harry.”
- The first group of what is expected to be several thousand refugees arrived in Germany after a delayed journey through Hungary and Austria. ›
- Rowan County, Kentucky, issued several marriage licenses, but their validity is being questioned because jailed clerk Kim Davis's name isn't on them. ›
- U.S. Vice President Joe Biden said he isn't sure he has the "emotional energy" to run for president. ›