1. Daunt Books, 83-84 Marylebone High St. London, W1U 4QW.
Daunt Books is renowned as one of London’s leading travel and literary bookshops, with branches across London.
2. Lutyens & Rubinstein, 21 Kensington Park Rd, London, W11 2EU
Founded in 2009 by established literary agents, the Lutyens & Rubinstein Bookshop sells fiction and general non-fiction with an emphasis on excellence in writing and narrative across a broad range of genres.
3. London Review Bookshop, 14 Bury Place, London, WC1A 2JL.
Opened in 2003 by the London Review of Books, the shop hosts a selection of more than 20,000 titles. They also have great cake.
4. Foyles, 107 Charing Cross Road, London, WC2H 0DT.
“London’s most famous bookstore” has just opened its brand new building at 107 Charing Cross Road – just next door to the old one.
5. Goldsboro Books, 23-25 Cecil Ct, London WC2N 4EZ.
Situated in the heart of the west end, Goldsboro specialises in signed first editions.
6. Koenig Books, 80 Charing Cross Rd, London WC2H 0BB.
A German-owned independent bookshop specialising in art, architecture and photography.
7. Forbidden Planet, 179 Shaftesbury Ave, London.
The world’s largest and best-known science fiction, fantasy and cult entertainment retailer also offers a huge range of books on science fiction, cult and pulp titles that you won’t find anywhere else.
8. Claire de Rouen Books, 125 Charing Cross Rd, London, WC2H 0EW.
Situated above the William Hill on Charing Cross Road, Claire de Rouen is the only specialist photography and fashion bookshop in London.
9. Persephone Books, 59 Lamb’s Conduit St, London, WC1N 3NB.
A bookshop and a publisher, Persephone Books reprints neglected fiction and non-fiction by mid-twentieth century (mostly women) writers.
10. Big Green Bookshop, Unit 1, Brampton Park Rd, London N22 6BG.
An independent book shop in Wood Green, North London, selling interesting titles by great authors in a relaxed, friendly, environment.
11. Arthur Probsthain, 41 Great Russell St, City of London, WC1B 3PE.
Established in 1903, Arthur Probsthain is one of the leading Oriental and African booksellers in the world.
12. Gay’s The Word, 66 Marchmont Street, London, WC1N 1AB.
London’s leading lesbian and gay bookshop.
13. Belgravia Books, 59 Ebury St, Victoria, London, SW1W 0NZ.
Situated near London Victoria, Belgravia Books stocks translated titles and work from indie presses, among others.
If you visit on Wednesday you can meet their shop dog, Baxter. He is a delight.
14. Gosh!, 1, Berwick St, London, W1F 0DR.
Stocking the best in graphic storytelling, from mainstream superhero to translated European albums, plus vintage children’s books, contemporary graphic fiction, manga and small press titles.
Share your favourite local bookshop below!
These are only a small selection of the excellent independent bookshops across the UK, so let us know the best independent bookshop near you.