1. Set a decade after the events of Rise of the Planet of the Apes, “Dawn” sees the world in ruin after humanity has been devastated by the Simian Flu.
2. Human survivors and apes have reached an uneasy truce, but with limited resources, tensions between the two are fraught.
3. Led by Caesar, the genetically evolved apes have grown from a tribe into a nation, and live a peaceful existence.
4. But as humanity seeks to rebuild, both sides are brought to the brink of war to determine who will emerge as Earth’s dominant species. Probably won’t end well.
12. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is in cinemas July 11 in the US, and July 17 in the UK.
Artwork from “Rise of the Planet of the Apes and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes: The Art of the Films” by Matt Hurwitz, available from Titan Books from 8th July 2014. Reproduced here with permission.
- President Obama addressed the 54-member African Union, a first for a sitting U.S. president. The speech marks the end of his historic five-day trip to East Africa.
- The Boy Scouts of America has ended its ban on gay leaders, two years after lifting a ban on gay youth members.
- Boston is no longer pursuing a bid to host the 2024 summer Olympics.
- The Arizona Cardinals have hired the NFL's first female coach.