1. Have a weird and exotic pet.
Like Clarissa from Clarissa Explains It All, preferably name it after a deceased Rock n’ Roll musician.
2. Keith Haring is your god.
…and should account for roughly 75% of your tee shirt collection.
3. Be a troublemaker.
Take a note from Welcome Freshman . Oh, you got detention for talking during class? Hello popularity.
4. Wear plenty of flannel.
Bonus points for cutting off the sleeves like this guy from Roundhouse .
5. Dye your hair a crazy color.
Or five, as long as it’s edgy! Catalina from Space Cases knows what’s up.
6. Buy an instrument.
Girls love musicians. If you could win one on Double Dare, even better.
7. Keep up with current events.
Like Linda Ellerbee of Nick News , smart people are super hip. How else would you be able to write sad and existential coffeehouse songs?
8. Have plenty of awesome hats.
Try to aim for a bigger collection than hat enthusiast Alex Mac from The Secret World of Alex Mac .
…Bonus points if you wear them backwards.
Thumbs-up are also particularly awesome, as we can see from this meeting of the Midnight Society on Are You Afraid of the Dark? .
9. Double bun it.
This is the 90’s, your hair has to say “Hey, I’m young and totally eccentric!” Even more cool-weirdo points for harboring an alien in your attic like in The Journey of Allen Strange.
10. Only wear denim that looks completely destroyed.
New looking clothes are totally lame, take it from teen crime investigator Shelby Woo from The Mystery Files of Shelby Woo .
11. Leather is better, be a tough guy.
Pop on a pair of Oakleys and watch the dates come pouring in.
12. While you’re at it, get a tattoo.
It’ll show people that you’re tough, but that you also have a sensitive side that really appreciates the arts. Just like young Pete from The Adventures of Pete and Pete .
13. Don’t let the man get you down.
Stand up for your rights as a human being.
14. Hang out with other cool people.
Your friend from school’s dad happens to be Iggy Pop? They are now your new best friend.
15. Take up a sport.
But only an extreme one.
16. Be a lone wolf.
Play it cool, dude. Bobby Budnick from Salute Your Shorts doesn’t care, why should you?
17. Slime. Rules. All.
- Protesters gathered in Chicago Tuesday night after city officials released the video of a white police officer fatally shooting Laquan McDonald, a black teenager. ›
- At least 19 people in seven U.S. states have been infected with E. coli in an outbreak officials believe is linked to rotisserie chicken salads sold at Costco. ›
- Adele broke the single-week U.S. album sales record set by NSYNC in 2000. "25" sold at least 2.43 million in about three days. ›