#26: You know you’re a kid of the ’90s if… …Your decade was so featureless that you have to pad your nostalgia list with things from other decades. Getting slimed on Nickelodeon? 80s.
Taping songs off the radio on your boombox? 80s.
Ninja Turtles? 80s.
VHS tapes? Honestly?
Trapper Keeper? Prevalent all through 80s.
Rock/paper/scissors? No, you’re right on this one - I think it was invented in 1996.
First marketed in 1979. That’s 7 with a SEVEN, larvae. Okay, your rebuttal: These things may have existed before the 90s, but they were sooooo a part of our, like, 90s experience, you know? Good - so let’s put toasters and television and shoelaces on the list too. Or can you come back with 25 things that were genuinely, ineffably, uniquely linked to the sad decade fate assigned to your adolescence? No, you can’t.
Please validate your account to contribute content.
Preview Your Response
Kinda sad how riled up this lighthearted list is making you.
- jedijane #26: You know you're a kid of the...
They may have been invented during earlier times, and even just as popular then too. However, to anyone who is a 90s kid, they are nostalgic. I think that’s the point here.
- Jason K. #26: You know you're a kid of the...
- engelixe #26: You know you're a kid of the...
- huntanpeck #26: You know you're a kid of the...
- April C. #26: You know you're a kid of the...
- Matthew Z. #26: You know you're a kid of the...
And yet, in the 90s, slime was still part of Nickelodeon’s repertoire. The show Figure It Out, which is my first thought when it comes to being slimed, came out in 1997 (which is later than I thought).
I had a boombox as a kid and tried taping stuff with it. CDs weren’t predominant until around 2000. At the end of the 90s, the music section was still more than half cassettes.
Ninja Turtles did come out in the 80s, but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t still on in the 90s and that people didn’t still watch it, because trust me, everyone did.
VHS tapes? What’s your problem with that? Sure, they’d been out for quite some time by the 90s, but the kids of the 90s were the last to really use them.
Trapper Keeper I’ll give you. I don’t remember ever having one or seeing any in the 90s, unless you mean the zipped fabric kind, which WERE from the 90s.
Rock, paper, scissors I will give you also, because that’s pretty timeless.
- billys7 #26: You know you're a kid of the...
- kalis #26: You know you're a kid of the...
- chriss18 #26: You know you're a kid of the...
- Dan Stack #26: You know you're a kid of the...
Poor gen-x guy feels left out. Bitch, you’ve had your doses of nostalgia for a full decade already, let us have ours. Then we can moan about the even more spoiled asses coming up ten years from now.
- f1rstman #26: You know you're a kid of the...
- Whitney Lou #26: You know you're a kid of the...