2. He is a lyric spinto tenor
He’s become most famous for his roles in Die Walkurie (Wagner) Tosca (Puccini) and Carmen (Bizet)
3. His voice is beautiful (as is his face)
“’A voice as soft as wild honey dripping from a tree’– Kipling describing Bagheera, the black panther in The Jungle Book; it could equally be applied to Kaufmann, whose baritonal timbre and almost smoky half tones make his Siegmund intensely masculine.”
Mark Pullinger, opera britannia
wild honey? black panther? smoky? intensely masculine? Say no more.
4. Listen to him sing!
Yep, definitely wild honey intensely masculine smoky loveliness
5. Right now, he’s in Parsifal at the Metropolitan Opera
He’s playing the title role in this Wagnerian opera
6. And, he’s great in it (of course)
“At 43 Mr. Kaufmann is in his glory, equally adept in German, Italian and French repertory. Handsome and limber, he is a natural onstage. The baritonal colorings of his sound, his clarion top notes, the blend of virility and tenderness in his singing, his refined musicianship — all these strengths come together in his distinctive Parsifal.”
Anthony Tommasin (NYTimes)
GET IT JONAS
9. And, he somehow always looks wonderful while singing
Which is an incredibly hard, unnatural thing to do and proves that he is probably some kind of supermodel angel sent to woo us all.
10. He’s a Grammy Winner
The iMet’s production of Wagner’s “The Ring Cycle” won the grammy for best opera recording of the year. Jonas is featured as Siegmund on the album!!
11. He has his own day
After a concert in Phoenix, AZ, both the Mayor of Phoenix Greg Stanton and Arizona Governor Janice Kay Brewer declared February 24th “Jonas Kaufmann Day”
12. He recently released an album entitled ‘Wagner’
He decided to record it to honor Wagner’s 200th anniversary in 2013. It is his 6th solo album, though he has been featured on many more. ‘Wagner’ has climbed the itunes classical charts and is currently no. 1 in the UK!
13. Aside from all this, he’s humble
“Most people who write about me claim that I’ve always been a successful artist, but in actual fact it was long doubtful whether I would study singing at all, and later on there was no real success on my horizon.”
OH JONAS, YOU MAKE MY HEAD SWIM
14. He’s a Rolex model
Proving once and for all that his good looks are timeless
15. He’s graced the pages of Vogue
He was featured in May 2012’s Vogue in an article entitled “Lord of the Ring: Jonas Kaufmann.” The article focused on his role in the Met’s production of Wagner’s Der Ring des Nibelungen, and included photographs by Norman Jean Ray. He was also mentioned in December 2011’s magazine for his performance in Faust.
16. Look at him WORK that armor
Norman Jean Ray, you did good
17. He is undeniably attractive and extremely talented
Pondering the deepest mysteries of life
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- The Dutch Safety Board has released a final report of its investigation into why Malaysian Airlines Flight MH17 broke up over Ukraine in 2014. ›
- Condé Nast has acquired Pitchfork, the independent music website and magazine, for an undisclosed amount. ›
- Iran's parliament approved a deal on its nuclear program, which was agreed to in July following lengthy talks between six world powers. ›