1. Unicef — “Costume”
Commercial won a silver CLIO last year but hasn’t got much publicity.
It deserves more.
Via South Africa.
“If you don’t fight child abuse, who will?”
Powerful, without being brutal.
3. Casa de Menor
Maybe the visual is a bit too creepy.
But child abuse is creepier.
4. Center for Protection of Children’s Rights Foundation — “It Never Goes Away”
Another handsy campaign, this one not so creepy, and probably more effective.
5. NSPCC — “The Shit Kids Say”
Via the UK.
Unlike 90% of these types of PSAs, I think this spot for UK children’s charity NSPCC might actually prompt some action.
The child actors really sell it.
6. HiddenVilence.nl — “Addict”
Via The Netherlands.
Very impactful use of type.
7. Casa do Menor
This spot, “Burden,” comes close to getting it right, but the copy line at the end kind of ruins it. Maybe it’s because of the translation from Italian.
The understated xylophone-y music is spot-on.
8. Nobody’s Children Foundation
These macabre flesh + porcelain kids for the Nobody’s Children Foundation create some pretty strong imagery.
9. International Trade Union Confederation — “How To Make A Child Jackhammer”
I wanted to include one “funny” ad here, just to round out the post.
But, I’m thinking childish humor is probably not the way to go with this subject.
10. CERCA — Glow In The Dark Print Ads
Very spooky, creepy campaign printed with fluorescent ink so that when the lights were turned off, the ads presented a very different visual, and a payoff headline that reads “Pedophilia. You might not see it, but it could be happening.”
11. SaveTheChildren.mx — “Break The Cycle”
These executions are not perfect (READABLE typefaces, please, art directors). But they at least make a clear, memorable, powerful point, a rare PSA occurrence.
Copy: “70% of abused children turn into abusive adults. Donate at savethechildren.mx. Break the circle.”
12. ISPCC — “I Can’t Wait Until I Grow Up”
This is, unquestionably, the most powerful child abuse ad ever created.
The kid deserves an Oscar. The idea, the script, the direction…
Jesus, try not to be moved.
- Police confirmed 71 people, likely refugees who fled Syria, were found dead in a truck abandoned in Austria. The suspected drivers have been arrested. ›
- Florida Gov. Rick Scott declared a state of emergency due to the "severe threat" posed to his state by Tropical Storm Erika. ›
- President Obama marked a decade of recovery after Hurricane Katrina, citing gains, but also the immense amount of work that he said still needs to be done. ›