1. Putting “100 years old” in a cig ad, oh how devious.
2. Most people are familiar with this classic ad. Note that the number has been “certified.”
3. Doctors doctors, everywhere…
4. Sure, throw a dentist in the mix, too.
5. “A feeling of well-being” — the “for digestion’s sake” was a long-running Camel campaign that featured many athletes.
6. This is my favorite “for digestion’s sake” ad. A smoking smoke-eater.
7. The cure for the common cold (see nurse’s copy).
8. Gotta stay ahead of your fat, tar-colored doppelgänger.
10. More fat, tar-colored ghosts. The appetite suppressing properties of tobacco haven’t gone out of style, of course.
11. Pall Mall produced a series of ads with illustrations of healthy-looking fruit to sell their taste.
13. “No curative power is claimed…but” we’re going to claim it anyway.
- Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders clashed on immigration, Obama, and Kissinger (!) in Thursday's Democratic debate. We have a recap for you 🇺🇸
- NYPD Officer Peter Liang was found guilty of manslaughter in the 2014 shooting of Akai Gurley, an unarmed black man.
- And how well do you know what happened in the news this week? Take our quiz.