1. Chupa Chups
Via South Africa.
“Get out the way, Dollie. Life’s not worth it without my lolli.”
2. Nothing Sucks Like an Electrolux
Probably a spec commercial, and pretty funny.
Not so bad, because the humor is very exaggerated.
3. Miu Miu
Part of a Miu Miu ad from 2011 with actress Hailee Steinfeld (wonderful in True Grit). The UK’s ASA banned the ad, ruling that the sad-looking Steinfeld appeared to be in the act of committing suicide.
4. Bafco Office Furniture
Your depressed old chair blew its guts out.
The tired “old useless product killing itself” idea has been used over and over and over again.
POM got blasted for this poster ad, not just for the suicide imagery, but also because of over-promising its health benefits just a tad.
6. Bridgetone Tires
A real commercial that was later pulled.
7. Bagir non-wrinkle suits.
Ironclad idiotic anthropomorphism.
Stained clothes killing themselves.
9. General Motors Suicide Robot Super Bowl ad.
GM took lots of flak for this commercial back in 2007.
When it aired, autoworkers were being laid off by the hundreds.
They eventually edited out the suicide scene.
10. Oxford Bookstore
“The truth hurts. Read fiction.”
11. Seidl Confiserie chocolate
12. IKEA — Hünge Stool
Fake ad by a Russian ad agency.
Nobody would use a piece of crap IKEA stool for such an important moment.
13. Heineken “Fuck It”
British spec spot.
But, Heineken never got it pulled.
14. D&AD Awards
Back in 2010, the UK’s most prestigious ad awards show did a series of student-promoting ads showing actual older famous (within the industry) British creatives “killing themselves” because of the new blood.
The ads met with “mixed” reviews.
15. Renaxil anti-hair loss treatment.
Hair I am to save the day (sorry).
16. Virgin Radio
Via the USA.
17. Chery QQ
“Less visits to the pump.”
So, pump blow its brains out.
Cat commits suicide because of owner’s pathetic life — which is unbelievable because cats definitely don’t care how pathetic YOU are.
19. Pepsi Max — “One very very lonely calorie”
Pepsi took much heat for these 2008 print ads.
I guess the teenager here spent his childhood watching one too many violent movies, and now he’s pounding Dad’s Chivas Regal and about to blow his head off with…a 3-D printed Lego gun. Ad from 2009.
- At least three people have died in South Carolina due to severe rainfall. More than 11 inches of rain fell on the city in 48 hours. ›
- President Obama says the U.S. has launched a full investigation into the airstrikes that killed 22 people at a hospital in Afghanistan on Saturday. ›
- The World Bank announced that for the first time it is forecasting the rate of extreme global poverty to drop below 10% in 2015 . ›