1. Harry Potter is a boy whose parents were tragically killed when he was just a baby.
2. He’s forced to live a very sad life of abuse. His room is a cupboard under the stairs.
3. His guardians are his unsympathetic uncle and aunt who just don’t understand him.
4. He’s bullied at school too, not only by his classmates…
6. And he’s totally in love with the hot girl at school…
10. He wants to escape his butt of a situation any way he can.
11. Except he’s a total cynic. He refuses to get close to people. In order to avoid the reality of his situation, he uses his imagination.
12. First, by writing and sending himself a shit ton of letters from “Hogwarts,” a school of “witchcraft and wizardry.”
13. Then, he creates Hagrid who whisks him out of the “muggle” world and into the world of “magic” where people understand him.
14. The rest is history and FAR too detailed to explain in a few GIFs.
If you’re reading this post, you’ve most likely read Harry Potter and know the story.
15. He’s not only seeing dead people; he’s seeing IMAGINARY DEAD people which is totally not a good sign.
16. Like his parents. He still sees them and feels their presence. Not in the metaphorical sense, but literally.
17. And even they are telling him it’s all in his head.
18. And though he likes to pretend to the outside world that he’s a hermit, that he prefers a lonely and solitary existence…
20. …for the new, more menacing bullies of his mind’s creation.
21. He still has to put up with “evil,” but in his world, he has FRIENDS who understand him…
24. HIS SYMPTOMS:
26. DELUSIONS OF GRANDEUR aka thinking he can talk to snakes
27. A peculiarly phallic OBSESSION with wands
wand/wang and all that
30. RECLUSIVENESS and CONCEALMENT - pushing people away and preferring to be ALONE
33. POSSIBLE DIAGNOSES:
Either in their singularity or in combinations.
Psychcentral.com: “Bereavement is diagnosed when the focus of clinical attention is a reaction to the death or loss of a loved one. As part of their reaction to the loss, some grieving individuals present with symptoms characteristic of a Major Depressive Episode (e.g., feelings of sadness and associated symptoms such as insomnia, poor appetite, and weight loss).”
He is quite fixated on his parent’s death and refuses to believe they were killed by a mere car accident. Instead, he invents a tantalizing story - that his parents died protecting him, and he is the “chosen one” to stop the “Dark Lord.”
35. Post-traumatic Stress Disorder
Psychcentral.com: “Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is a debilitating mental disorder that follows experiencing or witnessing an extremely traumatic, tragic, or terrifying event. People with PTSD usually have persistent frightening thoughts and memories of their ordeal and feel emotionally numb, especially with people they were once close to.”
In conjunction with bereavement, Harry is still in shock of his parents’ deaths and remembers vivid details of how (he thinks) they were killed by the wizard he created.
Wikipedia: “Schizophrenia is characterized by a breakdown of thought processes and by a deficit of typical emotional responses. Common symptoms include auditory hallucinations, paranoid or bizarre delusions, or disorganized speech and thinking, and it is accompanied by significant social or occupational dysfunction.”
Apart from the fact that, in this wizarding world, people and things can be invisible, dead folks show up in mirrors and you can go back in time, the entire concept that Harry has created these people and creatures and adventures is a total delusion unto itself.
37. Multiple Personality Disorder
Wikipedia: “Dissociative identity disorder, also known as multiple personality disorder, is characterized by at least two distinct and relatively enduring identities or dissociated personality states that alternately control a person’s behaviour, and is accompanied by memory impairment for important information not explained by ordinary forgetfulness.”
Harry struggles with his roles - as friend, Chosen One, lover, “regular” boy (with wizarding powers), etc. He is constantly conflicted. Also, there is always the theory that, should it all be in his head, Harry is actually each character he creates.
39. Perhaps one day, with the right treatment, Harry will wake up and realize…
40. …it was all one big dream.
- Rallies for climate change action are taking place around the world ahead of the United Nations climate talks in Paris. ›
- Planned Parenthood officials said they believed Friday's shooting at a Colorado Springs clinic was motivated by opposition to abortion. ›
- And watch a man react to the modern world after spending 44 years in prison. ›