1. 52 Tuesdays is a drama about 16-year-old Billie and her father, James, who is undergoing a female-to-male gender transition.
2. The trailer opens with Billie talking about her struggle dealing with all kinds of transitions.
4. Billie and her father talk with a doctor about what will happen during her father’s transition.
5. Then, there’s a moving montage of clips as Billie keeps repeating the word “Dad.”
6. Meanwhile Billie is trying to figure out who she is as a 16-year-old.
7. The father is played by Del Herbert-Jane, a gender non-conforming actor who is not trans, but welcomed the character.
8. The film’s star, Tilda Cobham-Hervery, had never been in a film before.
9. Billie only sees her father on Tuesdays while her father transitions, so the director only filmed the movie on Tuesdays over the course of a year.
The entirely non-professional cast received scripts one week at a time for only the scenes they were in to keep the timing of her father’s transition realistic.
10. The director, Sophie Hyde, won the best directing award for the film in the World Cinema Dramatic category at the 2014 Sundance Film Festival this past January.
11. The film launched a global project with an app called “My 52 Tuesdays” where the film asks a question every Tuesday and users submit an image of themselves holding their response on a piece of paper.
There was also a “My 52 Tuesdays” photo booth on-location at the Sundance Film Festival where users could submit their photos.