1. Blue is the Warmest Color was not nominated for an Oscar this year due to its late release in France, but it could be eligible next year if France decides to submit it.
Check here to see the 2014 Oscar Nominees!
2. For the first time in history, the Palme d’Or at the Cannes Film Festival (the most prestigious award) was given by the Steven Spielberg-led jury to both actresses and the director. (It’s usually just given to the director.)
3. And the actresses, Adele Exarchopoulos and Lea Seydoux, were the second and third women in history to ever receive the award. (Jane Campion was first for The Piano.)
4. Adele (19) is the youngest person ever to win the Palme d’Or.
5. There were no hairstylists, stylists, or makeup artists on set.
6. In real life, Adele is dating the actor who played her boyfriend in the beginning of the film, Jeremie Laheurte.
7. The director shot over 100 takes of the scene where Lea and Adele see each other on the street for the first time.
8. The first scene Lea and Adele shot together was the dream scene where Adele’s character masturbates thinking about Lea.
9. Adele’s name in the film was supposed to be “Clementine,” but the director filmed the actresses so much when they were eating and sleeping and not acting, so people would call her Adele on camera, so he changed it.
10. They only read the script once.
“We abandoned the script really quick. I think I read the script like once, and after he told me, now you have read it, forget it…and after we just let go and play.” —Adele Exarchopoulos via DP/30.
11. The film is based on a comic-book novel by Julie Maroh who took to her blog after Cannes to complain about the explicit sex scenes in the film.
“It appears to me that this is what was missing on the set: lesbians.”
She describes the sex in the movie as “a brutal and surgical display, exuberant and cold, of so-called lesbian sex, which turned into porn, and made me feel very ill at ease.” —Julie Maroh.
12. The lead actresses wore prosthetic vaginas in the scenes in which they perform oral sex.
And Adele playfully joked about spitting the fake pubic hair out of her mouth during the filming.
13. Both lead actresses are the stars of the Miu Miu Resort 2014 Ad campaign.
Check out how silly they got on their photo shoot here!
14. Lea had to get her hair dyed every day for continuity. She got her hair dyed for the first time in Paris’ 18th arrondissement and then usually the director would just dye it in a bathtub in an apartment in Lille.
15. The director told Lea to watch films with Marlon Brando and James Dean to capture their masculine demeanor.
16. “Never” was Lea’s response when asked if she’d work with the director again. Adele said, “I don’t think so.”
17. It took ten days to shoot the seven-minute sex scene.
18. The shoot was only supposed to take two months, but it took five-and-a-half months.
Adele Exarchopoulos went to Thailand with her boyfriend after the shoot and said, “I was like [flips two birds], smoking weed, massages, woo!” — Adele Exarchopoulos
19. The actresses are now very close in real life.
“We have this very strong relationship now. We’re very close and I think maybe I’m like her sister. We really helped each other. It was a collaboration between the two of us. I think this film is also about our relationship…It’s true that it’s a friendship, but there’s love between us. You can say there’s love.” — Lea Seydoux