1. They were #1 on iTunes, beating out Taylor Swift and Rihanna…EVEN BEFORE THEY WERE SIGNED.
THAT. IS. UNHEARD. OF.
2. This is Cal Shapiro. He is gorgeous.
Cal (@whatupcal) is the lead freestyle/vocalist. Literally though. His voice is so perfect.
His bluesy-soulful vibe will make you melt.
Fun Fact: Cal’s love for scotch inspired the title of their first album, The Scotch Tape.
3. This is Rob Resnick. He is fucking awesome.
Rez’s (@robresnick) baby-making beats will make your ovaries explode. Rez samples everything from classical pieces to the latest EDM influences. In brightest day or blackest night he tweets about his love for Green Lantern.
WATCH OUT. You’re about to become obsessed…
4. CAL CAN ALSO FREESTYLE ON COMMAND.
He’ll challenge the crowd to write down a list of words for him to use. Then he’ll freestyle a flow so sick that your ears will ring in ecstasy.
5. AND REZ IS A FREAKING MUSICAL PRODIGY.
Rez is a self taught music producer who started composing his own material in second grade (like are you kidding?!) And now he’s basically, like, the MacGyver of all things music.
6. The duo started producing music in their college dorm room.
These Tufts University graduates formed Timeflies while still in their undergrad years. I don’t know about you, but I could barely do laundry in college.
7. Their latest single already has over 1.5M views on YouTube.
It’s called “I Choose U”. They’re so cool they don’t even need to use extra vowels.
8. They have music for EVERY mood.
From slow jams and party bangers to rock ballads and the occasional acoustic track…They never disappoint. These guys take risks and when they do, they go HAM.
But to get sentimental for a hot sec, what’s even cooler is that they never loose sight of who they are individually as artists. (Okay, moment’s over.)
9. The duo posted a new video every Tuesday for 68 consecutive weeks.
Yeah, that’s right. 68. This weekly ritual is better known as Timeflies Tuesday. They also have their own Timeflies App where you can get all of their music, videos, and upcoming shows. AND IT’S 100% FREE.
10. Meet the sexy crew.
11. They have their own 12-part documentary series called The Clockumentary.
The guys have documented their experiences and crazy antics since the forming of the group. Each video is a piece of the Timeflies journey so far (and it’s awesome.)
12. Not one but two of their songs were featured in FOX’s presentation of The 2012 Cotton Bowl.
13. Their fans are known as “flyhards.”
They are kind of joking, but mostly serious.
14. They have their own lingo.
Cancel verb. The realization of a shitty joke and subsequent announcement of its termination.
Flop noun. A terrible, shitty and/or awful joke.
Fire adj. Something that is hot.
Hit noun. A hilarious, witty, and/or clever joke, delivered impeccably; the opposite of a flop.
15. They work with awesome producers like Mike Posner.
Posner also started producing his own music in his dorm room at Duke University, FYI.
16. They are friends with JoJo.
And Jojo is the shit. Get out…Leave!
18. They created their own label, Forty8Fifty, and it’s partnered with Island Def Jam Music Group.
Not wanting to have a label dictate what they could or could not do, they guys went without representation the first 3 years of their career. Do you Timeflies, DO YOU.
Fun fact: 4850 represents the guys’ address of where they lived in college.
19. So basically they are god’s gift to music…
…And they’re just getting started.
- U.S. President Barack Obama visited Oregon on Friday to meet with victims' families after last week's deadly campus shooting. Gun-rights activists protested his visit. ›
- The U.S. ended its $500 million program that trains and equips Syrian rebels in their fight against ISIS. ›
- A judge halted all eight scheduled executions in Arkansas. Inmates are challenging a law allowing the state to keep the source of its execution drugs a secret. ›