2. Spaghetti with Corn, Ham and Ricotta Salata
Recipe by Rebekah Peppler
1 lb spaghetti
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 lb ham steak, cut in 1/4-inch cubes
1 cup frozen corn
1 cup shaved ricotta, divided
1/4 cup basil leaves, thinly sliced in ribbons
kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Cook spaghetti according to package directions, until al dente. Drain through a colander, reserving about a cup of the pasta water.
In a large skillet over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, then add diced ham and cook until the ham is starting to brown, about 5 minutes, moving the ham around the pan occasionally. Add 1 cup frozen corn kernels and cook until the corn is thawed and warmed through, about 2 minutes. Add the pasta, 3/4 cup shaved ricotta salata and 1/4 cup of the reserved pasta water. Season with salt and pepper, and toss to coat.
Transfer to a serving bowl, and garnish with basil ribbons and an additional ¼ cup shaved ricotta salata.
4. For this recipe, you’ll need a 12-inch skillet and a large pot to cook the pasta.
- The family of Sandra Bland, who died in a Texas jail cell in July three days after she was detained during a traffic stop, filed a wrongful death lawsuit in federal court.
- Migrant deaths in the Mediterranean have exceeded 2,000, making 2015 the deadliest year for people trying to reach Europe, according to the International Organization for Migration.
- Rapper 50 Cent may claim he's broke, but court records filed in his bankruptcy case show he has $10 million in various bank accounts.