2. Spaghetti with Anchovies, Garlic and Parmesan
Recipe by Rebekah Peppler
1 lb spaghetti
12 cloves garlic
2 2-oz. cans anchovies in oil
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon dried red pepper flakes
3/4 cup grated parmesan, divided
kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
Cook spaghetti according to package directions, until al dente. Drain through a colander, reserving about a cup of the pasta water.
Thinly slice garlic cloves, and coarsely chop anchovies.
In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-low heat. Add sliced garlic, dried red pepper flakes and chopped anchovies. Cook, stirring, until the garlic softens and the anchovies melt, about 2 minutes. Season with black pepper (the anchovies have enough salt that you don’t need to add more), add the cooked pasta, 1/4 cup of the reserved pasta water and 1/2 cup grated Parmesan. Toss to combine, and continue to toss until the cheese has melted and a thin sauce has formed.
To serve, garnish with the remaining ¼ cup grated Parmesan and black pepper.
4. For this recipe, you’ll need a 12-inch skillet and a large pot to cook the pasta.
- Joyce Mitchell, the prison worker who was accused of helping inmates Richard Matt and David Sweat escape from a New York prison, pleaded guilty and faces up to seven years in prison.
- Several people have been wounded after a shooting near Barcelona's famed La Rambla street, according to Spanish media.
- President Obama addressed the 54-member African Union, a first for a sitting U.S. president. The speech marks the end of his historic five-day trip to East Africa.