2. Spaghetti with Anchovies, Garlic and Parmesan
Recipe by Rebekah Peppler
1 lb spaghetti
12 cloves garlic
2 2-oz. cans anchovies in oil
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon dried red pepper flakes
3/4 cup grated parmesan, divided
kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
Cook spaghetti according to package directions, until al dente. Drain through a colander, reserving about a cup of the pasta water.
Thinly slice garlic cloves, and coarsely chop anchovies.
In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-low heat. Add sliced garlic, dried red pepper flakes and chopped anchovies. Cook, stirring, until the garlic softens and the anchovies melt, about 2 minutes. Season with black pepper (the anchovies have enough salt that you don’t need to add more), add the cooked pasta, 1/4 cup of the reserved pasta water and 1/2 cup grated Parmesan. Toss to combine, and continue to toss until the cheese has melted and a thin sauce has formed.
To serve, garnish with the remaining ¼ cup grated Parmesan and black pepper.
4. For this recipe, you’ll need a 12-inch skillet and a large pot to cook the pasta.
- The top U.S. commander In Afghanistan called the hospital bombing that killed 22 people "a mistake." ›
- Takaaki Kajita and Arthur McDonald won the Nobel Prize in physics for their discovery that neutrinos have mass. ›
- In a Vanity Fair interview, Rihanna said Rachel Dolezal, who identifies as black even as her parents insist she was born white, "was a bit of a hero." ›