6. The cornmeal croquettes quickly became a staple in the south. The name is credited to hunters and fisherman who would fry off cornmeal mixture leftover from their own cooking and feed it to their dogs to quiet them around the campfire. “Hush, puppies!”
10. Well, actually, that is correct.
19. How To Make Hush Puppies:
Adapted from Southern Living.
Makes 4 servings (12-16 hush puppies)
1/2 cup all-purpose Flour
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 large egg
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 cups vegetable oil, for frying
Combine flour, cornmeal, salt, and baking soda in a bowl. Make a well in the center of the mixture.
Whisk together egg and buttermilk. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir just until combined.
Pour oil into a 10-inch cast iron skillet (or use a deep-fryer), and heat to 375°. Drop batter by heaping tablespoonfuls into oil. Fry in batches 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and serve immediately.
20. You’re so welcome.
- Super Bowl 50 catch-up: The Denver Broncos upset the Carolina Panthers. And Beyoncé slayed her half-time show 🏈 👑
- U.S. Republican presidential candidates debated in New Hampshire ahead of Tuesday's primary, and Sen. Marco Rubio malfunctioned 🇺🇸
- BuzzFeed News has identified a second member of the ISIS execution cell led by "Jihadi John."