1. Popped Quinoa Trail Mix
Seriously satisfying amounts of crunch. Recipe here.
2. Prairie Paté
Oats, nuts, seeds, dried fruit and… pork cracklin’? Yep. Recipe here.
3. Black Pepper Jerky
I know you can buy the stuff everywhere, but making it yourself is easy, customizable, and, BONUS, fun to do with kids. Recipe here.
4. Homemade Clif Bars
5. Spiced Pumpkin Seed and Cashew Crunch
Because no one really wants a handful of plain old nuts. Recipe here.
6. Blueberry Apple Pie Trail Mix Balls
Some of us aren’t coordinated enough, mid-hike, to shovel handfuls of loose trail mix into our mouths without feeding half of it to the trail floor. Recipe here.
8. Celery sticks in an almost-empty peanut butter jar.
You could do the same thing with carrots. Don’t try apples, though, since they’ll get all brown and oxidized and gross while you’re hiking. Found here.
10. No-Bake Peanut Butter Pretzel Bars
11. Curry and Sriracha Roasted Chickpeas
Whether you have an allergy or nuts just aren’t your thing, roasted chickpeas are a delicious, satisfying alternative. Recipe here.
12. Walnut Cranberry Ginger Power Bars
Far less processed than the shiny, chalky unidentifiable Power Bars you can buy. Recipe here.
13. 4-Ingredient Banana Oat Bars
4 basic ingredients, with endless options for customizing. Recipe here.
14. Fruit and Nut Trail Mix
Banana chips add extra sweetness and crunch to this chocolate-free easy trail mix. Recipe here.
15. Vegan Super-Charge Me! Cookies
These dairy-free, wheat-free, soy-free cookies are chock-full of healthy ingredients that will keep you going all the way to the end of the trail. Recipe here.
16. Chunky Granola Clusters
Because worst-case scenario they get crushed, and you have granola! Recipe here.
17. Sunshine Bars
Dried pineapple, cashews, and coconut make for a snack that’s not only energizing but also cheerfully reminiscent of a piña colada. Recipe here.
18. Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Larabars
- At least three people – including a police officer – died in a shooting at a Planned Parenthood in Colorado Springs. The suspect is in police custody. ›
- At least 15 people were killed after a suicide bomber attacked a Shiite Muslim procession of hundreds of people in Nigeria. ›
- And how well do you know what happened in the news this week? Take our quiz. ›