14. Robert Cornelius
Robert Cornelius took the first known photographic selfie waaaaaay back in 1839.
13. Leonardo De Vinci
It’s not certain that this drawing from 1510 was actually a selfie by Leonardo, but most historians are pretty sure it was.
12. Albrecht Dürer
Albrecht Dürer is one of the first prolific people to start making selfies. He made this selfie in 1484 when he was only 13 years old!!!
11. Diego Velázquez, Las Meninas
Diego Velázquez may have invented the photobomb when he added his selfie into this family portrait Las Meninas in 1656.
10. Caterina van Hemessen
This selfie, painted by Caterina van Hemessen in 1548, is the earliest selfie of an artist at an easel and one of the earliest known selfies by a female painter.
9. Norman Rockwell, Triple Self-Portrait
Normal Rockwell blew everyone’s minds in 1960 with this self-portrait inside a self-portrait.
8. Egon Schiele
Egon Schiele may have been the first—but definitely not the last—to selfie himself while masturbating.
7. Miyamoto Musashi
Selfies are not limited to western artists. This selfie by Samurai, writer, and artist Miyamoto Musashi dates back to 1640.
6. Mary Cassatt
Mary Cassatt was a very important portraitist of the Impressionist era focusing mostly on portraits of women and children. She also painted some great selfies.
Rembrandt was one of the most influential painters of all time and also one of the most prolific selfie artists of the pre-modern era.
4. Chuck Close
3. Vincent van Gogh
2. Cindy Sherman
Cindy Sherman has made her oeuvre from subverting the selfie to examine issues of identity, gender equality, and consumerist culture.
- Charges have been dismissed against protest organizer Malcolm London in Chicago. He was arrested Tuesday during protests over a video showing the police shooting of a black teen. ›
- Frank Gifford's family says the NFL star had CTE, the degenerative brain disease linked to football. He died in August. ›
- And President Obama actually made his daughters laugh at the annual White House turkey pardon. ›