1. This is Shaka, the newest member of the Squaw Valley Avalance Rescue Team.
2. The rescue team is very skilled as both search-and-rescuers as well as avalanche awareness teachers.
3. Between riding on chairlifts, chilling on snowmobiles and playing scent-based seek-and-find games, these pups have fun in training.
4. They’re even members of the Placer Country Sheriff Search and Rescue Team so their help can extend regionally, if necessary.
5. This little goober was named after a long-time patroller and avid surfer “Shaka Don” Schott.
The “shaka” handsign, a closed fist with thumb and pinkie held out, means “hang loose” among surfers.
6. Shaka is still in the process of training to get to be with the big guys but he’s doing great so far!
7. He certainly has the dutiful look to make for an outstanding rescuer.
8. Plus, he’s downright adorable!
- Thai police have found more bomb-making materials in a second apartment, following the first arrest on Saturday in Bangkok's deadly shrine blast. ›
- Wes Craven, who directed "Scream" and "A Nightmare on Elm Street," has died of brain cancer. He was 76. ›
- For the first time in history, there are three major hurricanes in the Pacific east of the International Dateline at the same time. ›