1. This is Shaka, the newest member of the Squaw Valley Avalance Rescue Team.
2. The rescue team is very skilled as both search-and-rescuers as well as avalanche awareness teachers.
3. Between riding on chairlifts, chilling on snowmobiles and playing scent-based seek-and-find games, these pups have fun in training.
4. They’re even members of the Placer Country Sheriff Search and Rescue Team so their help can extend regionally, if necessary.
5. This little goober was named after a long-time patroller and avid surfer “Shaka Don” Schott.
The “shaka” handsign, a closed fist with thumb and pinkie held out, means “hang loose” among surfers.