I’ve spent the last year watching over 300 of the best, worst and weirdest teen movies of the ’90s (and ’00s) for my new film Beyond Clueless — a documentary about the teen genre, out now.
Here are the important discoveries I made along the way.
5. There’s always one black guy at the party, and he’s normally Sean Patrick Thomas.
6. High school cafeterias operate a strict one-clique-per-table seating system.
7. It takes approximately 0.27 seconds for the average teenager to fall in love.
8. No teen house party is complete without at least $100 worth of red plastic cups.
10. And no wonder. Masturbation is an exceedingly popular teen pastime.
11. Even though it’s almost impossible to get any privacy.
13. Teenagers don’t make the best lyricists.
14. Or artists.
19. All jocks are gay until proven otherwise.
22. Computers are either extremely sinister…
26. But that doesn’t mean that the hundreds of professional dancers in the audience are going to be upstaged.
28. But not before we’ve had our fill of product placement.
Ryan Phillippe is THINKING REALLY HARD about that Pepsi machine.