Lesson: some of the people who give you free chocolate turn out to be homophobes:(
This is Lena Dunham – writer, actress, director, producer, and feminist extraordinare.
She’s responsible for bringing the TV show Girls to life, and she also plays its main character, Hannah Horvath.
Hannah has a lot of feelings.
And so does Lena.
But in addition to having all of the feelings, Lena is one of the smartest, wittiest, most badass female creatives of our time – or, dare I say, the voice of our generation.
Here are just some of the reasons why Lena Dunham is basically The Best.
1. She speaks the cold, bitter truth.
2. She did this at the Emmys in 2012.
Yup, naked. In a bathroom. Eating cake. On TV, in front of her peers.
3. She lives dangerously, but not without regret.
4. She has a lot of quality advice on drugs.
“And, lastly, the moment I realized I’d forgotten to pack my Klonopin.”
5. Her fashion sense is STRONG.
6. And therefore dresses her dog, Lamby, accordingly.
7. She knows how to be a good neighbour.
8. People like to get VERY UPSET about how good of a feminist Lena is, but she hasn’t let that stop her talking about it.
9. Plus, she appreciates other magnificent women.
10. She has two lords. One is Beyoncé.
And the other is Oprah.
11. She also knows a thing or two about eating.
12. When a reporter told Lena that her character in Girls was “often naked just at random times for no reason” – Lena responded by saying this:
“It’s because it’s a realistic expression of what it’s like to be alive, I think, and I totally get it. If you are not into me, that’s your problem, and you are going to have to kind of work that out with whatever professionals you’ve hired.”
13. She gives us hope that even if you were lazy as a kid, it’s still possible for you to be an international success.
“I was a really lazy kid. I almost never left the house. If it was a weekend, I wouldn’t even go outside, because I hated going in the park, hated doing any sports, hated walking around, hated doing almost everything. I liked to read and watch TV.”
14. She’s survived her greatest fears: “My fears came true: People called me fat and hideous, and I lived. And now I keep living.”
16. She totally *gets* female writers: “Girls are trained to say, ‘I wrote this, but it’s probably really stupid.’ Well, no, you wouldn’t write a novel if you thought it was really stupid.”
“Men are much more comfortable going, ‘I wrote this book because I have a unique perspective that the world needs to hear.’ Girls are taught from the age of 7 that if you get a compliment, you don’t go, ‘Thank you’, you go, ‘No, you’re insane.’ “
17. She cares a lot about politics.
18. She’s worried about global warming.
19. And she lets you learn from her mistakes.
20. She posts photos like this for no apparent reason.
21. While interviewing Judy Blume for Believer Magazine she told Blume that she once hid her copy of Forever in the toilet.
“I stuck it under the toilet and went running out. I went back later to check for it and it was gone. I was freaked out. My babysitter came up to me and she said, ‘Did you take my copy of Forever? I saw it in the bathroom under the toilet.’ And I told her that my cat had put it there at the time seemed like really great excuse.”
23. Even her throwback photos are 100 times more amazing than yours.
24. She’s ridiculously articulate about complicated subjects.
In an interview with Jon Snow for Channel 4 News, she said: “A generational problem I have noticed is that the rise of text messaging, instant messaging, social media as a whole, has really decreased our ability to engage romantically and personally, and I think everyone is feeling that.
“It’s so instant, it’s so easy, it doesn’t require you to make any real overtures, and everyone’s analyising everyone’s text messages.”
25. Seriously. SUCH WISDOM.
“I try not to through my hands up and say, ‘Oh my god the internet is horrible,’ or, ‘Oh my god no one should watch porn.’ It’s not about removing these things from our lives, it’s about being aware of what they’re doing to us.”
26. She hangs out with all the cool girls.
Jessica Williams from The Daily Show!
She was all like:
28. And despite the controversy surrounding her cover, Lena told the BBC: “I’m really happy with the Vogue cover. I have no problem with the fact it wasn’t my body. The fact is, it’s my face, and an expression I feel like is honest to me.”
29. She made a super cute video about her Vogue cover with Hamish Bowles.
30. She has a lovely relationship with her parents.
“My mom was def the source on this National Enquirer piece.”
31. You can even relate to how she feels about nap guilt.
32. And although Lena is crazy successful, she’s still as down-to-earth as you’d hope she would be.
“I still go to a party and say something embarrassing to someone, and then write them a weird email about it the next day, and then write them a text because I think they didn’t get the email. No matter what happens with your level of success, you still have to deal with all the baggage that is yourself.”