1. This morning, Ukraine’s interior minister announced on Facebook that three pro-Russian militants had been killed after Ukrainian troops repelled an attack on a national guard base.
2. This is Arsen Avakov’s statement (translation available below):
3. The Associated Press reported that a crowd of 300 men with “stun grenades and Molotov cocktails” stormed the national guard base in the Black Sea port of Mariupol.
The Ukrainian servicemen reportedly fired warning shots, but they didn’t deter the attackers. The army said it had no choice but to respond, which resulted in the three deaths and 13 injuries of the pro-Russian separatists.
4. There are conflicting reports on what the attackers were armed with. Some have said they were unarmed.
5. Other photos show what appear to be baseball bats.
7. And acting President Oleksandr Turchynov told parliament that the pro-Russian gang tried to storm the base three times and carried automatic weapons.
He added that the brigade of men had laid down its arms and that its detained members will face trial.
8. Regardless of the exact weapons used, three of the men died, as well as least 13 who were injured.
63 attackers are said to have been detained.