1. When Fader magazine asked Lana Del Rey what she thought about her feminist critics, the singer responded by explaining how she thinks that feminism “is just not an interesting concept”.
2. Del Rey said: “I’m more interested in, you know, SpaceX and Tesla, what’s going to happen with our intergalactic possibilities.”
3. “Whenever people bring up feminism, I’m like, god. I’m just not really that interested.”
4. “My idea of a true feminist is a woman who feels free enough to do whatever she wants.”
Fader wrote that her response to the question of feminism would be “disappointing for people from both camps” – but also pointed out that a French academic named Catherine Vigier had written an essay called “The Meaning of Lana Del Rey”.
5. Vigier wrote that Del Rey is “representing and speaking to a contradiction facing thousands of young women today,”
And that the “women who have followed mainstream society’s prescriptions for success in what has been called a post-feminist world, but who find that real liberation and genuine satisfaction elude them.”