1. Updated – Dec. 27, 7:05 a.m., ET
2. Friday morning, a car bomb exploded in the Lebanese capital of Beirut a few hundred yards outside the government headquarters and parliament buildings.
4. The Associated Press reports that ex-minister and the country’s former ambassador to the United States Mohammad Chatah was killed in the blast, along with his driver.
The Associated Press
BREAKING: Security official: Senior aide to former PM Saad Hariri killed in bombing in Lebanese capital .
6. It’s believed that Chatah was one of the targets of the bombing, as he was a vocal Hezbollah critic and vehemently opposed to Lebanon’s involvement in Syria.
RT @AngusBlair1: Expect further deepening of political fault lines in #Lebanon. It seems target was @mohamed_chatah, Hezbollah critic
Future TV confirmed: @mohamad_chatah targeted & killed in #Beirut explosion.
8. His opposition to Hezbollah is evident in his last tweet, sent approximately an hour before the bombing occurred.
Mohamad B Chatah
#Hezbollah is pressing hard to be granted similar powers in security & foreign policy matters that Syria exercised in Lebanon for 15 yrs.
9. Security forces and firefighters are currently at the scene.
11. After the explosion, smoke could be seen billowing through the city.
#Lebanon #Beirut Suicide Bombing Live Now | YS